PDA

View Full Version : Where should PUT most of my money in my setup?

jcard71
09/07/2006, 08:21 PM
I currently own a 46 gallon bow with African cihlids and I'm looking forward to this new hobby so I'm buying a 90 gallon this week and then sliwly start buying everything else, I'm in no hurry

Where should I focus most of my money, pump protien skimmer, or lights?

drummereef
09/07/2006, 08:29 PM
IMO, the lights and the protein skimmer. But you're going to spend a little for live rock and such too.

SeaMac2
09/07/2006, 08:34 PM
Well...you took the words right out of my mouth. When I read the title I was going to reply "skimmer, lights, and flow". Whether that flow is in the form of a return pump, closed loop pump, or in-tank powerheads is up to you.

I would be on the lookout for used equipment too...especially in the skimmer and lighting categories. Good buys on the more common/respected/used brands can be had at great prices from members in a club in your area, on this website, and even elsewhere online.

Good luck and have fun! :D
Chris

GinaSofia
09/07/2006, 08:41 PM
I would go with MH from the gate.

I went through 2 different sets of PC fixtures and then VHO before I finally forked out for a good MH pendant and bulb.If you even think you may be interested in the future in keeping SPS or clams,start off with MH's.

Also,if you're in a warm climate,be prepared to spend some cash on a chiller.

emerald chondro
09/07/2006, 08:42 PM
Lighting, skimmer mainly...what corals you looking to keep..SPS,LPS,zoos?

McCrary
09/07/2006, 08:52 PM
I would invest in a good skimmer and good lights.

SuperNerd
09/07/2006, 08:53 PM
Depends on exactly what you are planning on keeping. Lighting is high on my list, as well as filtration, whether it be a skimmer or a boat load of "natural stuff."

druce
09/07/2006, 09:02 PM
Lights IME/IMO

I had PC but nothing in my tank looked as good as when I switched to MH

since I got a nice PC setup then a nice MH setup I spent twice what I should have - I'd estimate $1200.00 for both light sets, when I could have just got the MH to begin with and saved myself $400.00.

do a lot of research, make a list of equip to get, bounce it off a few people on here about equipment experience, etc...

it takes longer but you end up getting good equipment and you'll spend money up front but save money in the long run

hope this helps - glad you took my advice and posted this :D

sarai826
09/07/2006, 09:29 PM
I'd put a GOOD skimmer at the top of my list... definitely, don't skimp on good equipment whether it means waiting a little longer or buying hte good stuff used!

RichConley
09/07/2006, 10:09 PM
I'd go in the importance they are to the tank:

SKimmer
Flow
Lights.

goodblasson
09/07/2006, 10:51 PM
water :D

tangerine
09/07/2006, 11:48 PM
this might come across sounding stupid but i wud get as good a quality tank as possible. all the other stuff though important ,the hassle of changing them not as tough as changing the tank.

jcard71
09/08/2006, 04:15 AM
WOW! Thanks everyone for your help!

I'm thinking about entering rehab before I even start this new passion...anyone else find themselves constantly thinking about reef tanks, okay that was a dumb question! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this is allowed and if it's not I apologize, but I was hoping someone could look through this site and kinda point me in the right direction as far as what I should buy from this person
since I will be going with a 90 gallon tank?

I live in New Hampshire, about 10 minuted from the Mass border and I'm planning a ROAD trip to Maine to www.aquacorals.com ( 3 hour drive ) to buy some of my stuff this weekend...

Thanks DRUCE for your help!:D

druce
09/08/2006, 06:24 AM
trust me, after 3 years it's no longer a passion IT IS an addiction...

dunno if that is a sad thing or not.

flinka
09/08/2006, 06:28 AM
Filtration and lighting are most important.

King-Kong
09/08/2006, 06:43 AM
Get the biggest honking skimmer you can fit/afford.

Then, based on your substrate (BB vs. sand) and types of corals (sps vs. lps vs. softies) select your flow needs.

Lastly, lighting. Stick to high output stuff; t5, vho, mh.

HotHotHot
09/08/2006, 08:51 AM
You should put all of your money into a "reef consultant"

like me for instance :) :) :)

Skimmer for clean water, doesn't matter what you want to keep.
Flow if going SPS, otherwise lights.
Lights, MH is best unless it's a seahorse tank :)

HTH
Ed

newtophish
09/08/2006, 08:53 AM
Whats wrong with this picture, a thread where everyone agrees.

dmo
09/08/2006, 09:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8101540#post8101540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangerine
this might come across sounding stupid but i wud get as good a quality tank as possible. all the other stuff though important ,the hassle of changing them not as tough as changing the tank.

I would have to agree 100%.. If you want to build a beautiful aquarium, start with a beautiful tank and stand. All-Glass works and looks nice, but having one of them and a high quality acrylic or glass job side by side, there is no comparison.

That being said, from an aquarists point of view, I couldn't care less what the outside looks like. But your family and friends first impressions will be of the outside tank/stand.

This is just my opinion, sitting here with my cheap 30g All-Glass tank :D

USC-fan
09/08/2006, 09:16 AM
I spend more on controllers/monitors than anything else in my tank. 2nd would the live rock/sand, 3nd is the skimmer and 4th is my lights. But i do spend A LOT on my small tank.

rcypert
09/08/2006, 09:22 AM
lighting for metal halide and vho 699.99 PC 399.99
good skimmer 199.99
Live Rock 50 @ 2.99 50 @6.99
Flow main pump 80.00 powerheads 25.00 ea
your going to put the majority of your money in live rock for essential filtration and a nice looking tank, and lighting, do not discount flow though it is essential for clean water healthy fish and coral, and a skimmer is essential as well dont skimp on any of these 4 major points for healthy animals.

Bax
09/08/2006, 09:25 AM
There are certain thnings such as live rock that are really expensive, but they can be added incrimentaly over time.

When starting out, invest in lights and skimmer first. Then add monitoring and flow as you need to. Eventually as you become hooked on SPS ( oh yea, you'll become hooked) you'll be adding a Kalk reactor, Ca Reactor, chiller, media reactors and all kinds of monitors and controllers, and a lot of flow (Tunze, VorTech or closed loop) ... so save your money now and buy a good set of lights and good skimmer so you don't have to trade up later.

druce
09/08/2006, 09:35 AM
Bax - I'm in total agreement with you! good advice

cw150
09/08/2006, 09:36 AM
I would think of all the things you'll initially spend money on, live rock could potentially be the single biggest expense ( it was for me). It wouldn't be unusual to stick 200 lbs of live rock in that size tank, and based on the going (high) rates for nice rock, that could cost you $1400. I'm not saying you have to add that much at first or telling you how much you need to spend. I'm just saying live rock can be a big expense.

Travis L. Stevens
09/08/2006, 09:40 AM
I would first invest in lights. This is something that all light needing corals need to have. Keep an open mind about skimmers. There are cheaper ways of doing things that work just as good. And there are many successful tanks without skimmers. Do I recommend a skimmer? Yes. Do I run a skimmer? No. Do I like skimmers? Yes. A good skimmer is a huge help. The next large purchase will most likely be the bread and butter; live rock and/or sand. Other than that, you pretty much have it made. A tank with a stand, lights, rock, and water is a bare essential. But adding a sump, refugium, skimmer and the optional sand is a huge help. Flow is something that can be done cheaply, but you shouldn't think twice about getting something good if you can afford it. Tunzes are great, but in a pinch Seios work well.

cwegescheide
09/08/2006, 09:49 AM
I think we all know the importance of filtration and lighting. You might be able to save a little on flow by going with the MJ mods. If I were to do it over again I think I would get 4 MJ's and mod them (I've got a 90 as well) and put them on a timer. They put out really good flow and if you put them on some kind of wave timer you will have good random flow as well. I have two Tunze's on a controller and could have saved quite a few bucks and the Tunze's are sooo big!!

Get a nice skimmer like a Euro Reef (I think mine cost me around 300) I wasted a lot of money getting substandard skimmers just to not be satisfied with performance especially when I got my EuroReef. Get really nice lights. If you go retrofit then invest in good reflectors like Luminarcs. They make a huge difference from what I've seen.

RichConley
09/08/2006, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8102989#post8102989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cw150
I would think of all the things you'll initially spend money on, live rock could potentially be the single biggest expense ( it was for me). It wouldn't be unusual to stick 200 lbs of live rock in that size tank, and based on the going (high) rates for nice rock, that could cost you $1400. I'm not saying you have to add that much at first or telling you how much you need to spend. I'm just saying live rock can be a big expense.

200lbs of lr in a 90?

I'd be thinking more like 75-90lbs of LR, most of it base/dead to start.

$7 a lb? Dont pay more than $5. You can get good rock for $3/lb shipped if you buy online.

With rock, less is more. Less allows better flow, which means more waste removal.

Bax
09/08/2006, 10:24 AM
Start cruising the Sellers Forum. I have purchased many items including several very good skimmers, all of my lighting (except for my 54w T-5s), Kalk Rx, Ca Rx, and all my Tunze & VorTech equipment through that forum. I have spent a ton of money acquiring equipment but saved a ton of cash buying this way.

I only share this secret with you now, because all I need is my 260 g tank, I have bought all the good stuff already. :)

... just kidding, (not really) seriously, spend some time looking at the prices of equipment you are interested in from on line vendors, know the equipment you want and the price you can buy it for new, then see what things are selling for used, check the sellers forum daily and be prepared to jump.