PDA

View Full Version : corals arriving tomorrow...little worried

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 08:47 PM
I just placed an order for a bunch a corals, an anenone and a clownfish from marine depot. Pretty excited but a little worried.... Ups has the weight at just 11lbs. Sounds light considering there is about 11 corals and the anenome and clown. Sometimes UPS messes up the weight which is what I am praying they did, as it has happened to me before. Do you guys think 11 lbs sounds realistic, I mean I bought a few mediums and one large coral. Is that really enough water weight????

affan
09/07/2006, 08:50 PM
Corals can be shipped sometimes in very little to no water at all. Don't worry, wait until you get them tomorrow.

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 08:54 PM
I was hoping to see a large weight beacuse I ordered a large toadstool and I know it might sound silly but I figured if the shipping weight was large than the toadstool must be as well since it would need a large volume of water.This applies to the rest of the corals as well. Its just a silly corralation which I have created in my anticipation and worriedness. LOts of shipping weight=big stuff!!!

nmprisons
09/07/2006, 09:10 PM
are you sure it is all in that same box? sometimes they ship larger orders in multiple boxes.

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 09:22 PM
Just one tracking number was given, plus they charge extra for a second box but I was never charged anything extra.

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 09:30 PM
Assorted Color Plate Size = Sml
Coral (Long Tentacle) -
Heliofungia actiniformis

Flower Pot Coral - Med (+$5)
Goniopora lobata

Tongue Coral - Size = Sml
Polyphillia species

Bali Metallic Green Candy Size = Sml
Coral - Caulestrea
echinulata

Clove Polyp - Size = Sml
Cespitularia species

\Yellow Fiji Leather - Med (+$8)
Sarcophyton species

Torch Coral - Euphyllia Size = Med (+$11)
glabrescens

Galaxy Coral - Galaxea Size = Med (+$7)
species

Bubble Tip Anemone Size = Sml
Assorted Color -
Entacmaea quadricolor

Toadstool Coral (Leather) Lrg (+$23)
- Sarcophyton species

Tomato Clown - Amphiprion Size = Med (+$3)
frenatus

Hairy Leather (hard) - Size = Med (+$7)
Sinularia species

Chili Coral - Alcyonium Size = Med (+$7)
species

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 09:31 PM
The order...

outy
09/07/2006, 11:12 PM
dont you have high nitrates?

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 11:34 PM
Actually I seperated the corals to another tank I dont think that I will be able to keep my large fish load and corals together any more. The feeding requirement on the fish and just the shear number of them have made me decide to not want to mix them as in a long term I dont see this as ever working. In regards to the high nitrates that we spoke about in the chem forum, I have been dilagent on the water chnges and also added a new large refugium in addition to my old one. I have seen the numbers come done qquite well. I just ordered 4 160g mixes of IO so I can continue keeping my water quality high until my fuge catches up with the bio load. Also I added some new ROWA recently. I looking now into adding a DSB to complete the deal.

Being that I was doing all this manipultion with my main fish tank I opted to place my corals in a spare tank I have. Plus I have accumulated so much equipment that keepong the corals seperated has proven effective. I just stole a little rock from my tank added my old skimmer, and keep my fish in there. I therefore decided to try and see If adding more coral would work in there or not.

vijaym85
09/07/2006, 11:37 PM
*keep no fish in there.
typo

outy
09/08/2006, 12:28 AM
cool wish you luck :)

affan
09/08/2006, 12:34 AM
FWIW, you do know the success rate of keeping Gonioporas right? Reason I say this is because I bought a flowerpot a few years ago and it lasted two stinkin' weeks in a perfectly healthy tank. I was then able to keep one a good two years until the Hurricane wiped out everything. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and so far it's been doing good ... but Goniopora's are notoriously difficult to keep long term.

vijaym85
09/08/2006, 12:42 AM
I knew they were hard but not that hard I would say.
LOoks like I bite off more than I can chew with this one.
Which bulb do you think I should put each coral under
I have a hamiltion 400W 14k
a reeflux 400w 12k
Aqua medic 175w 10k
XM 175w 10k
Tank is 27 inches tall.
I personally put a lot under the reeflux as its the newest of all my bulbs and a favorite in terms of color.

affan
09/08/2006, 12:49 AM
Why do you have so many different bulbs?

vijaym85
09/08/2006, 01:31 AM
I wanted to try each company out and give them a shot. I started with the hamilton then wanted to try the xm because of its growing ability, I hated its yellow color by the way. I then moved to aqua medic, I figured I see what the whole german hype is all about. Finally I moved to a REEFLUX which I really love. I keep the 2 400w's in the middle and the 2 175w's on the outside. Its cnsiderable light considering i dont even keep sps corals. Since it was a pretty hot summer in NY I placed a lot of coral under my REEFLUX to prevent having so many blubs on at once. I just ran that one bulb a lot of the time.

vijaym85
09/08/2006, 08:26 AM
It turns out that there were 2 boxes the 11lb one is only part of the order. Only one tracking was showing in the email. Anyways glad everything has cleared up