PDA

View Full Version : Canadian reefers help please!!

ianward
09/08/2006, 03:18 AM
Canadians, I am appalled that I can find NO source for internet ordered corals that will ship from the states.

I am looking for only very colorful corals that may be considered "exotic" or hard to find.

Where in Canada should I be looking/Ordering from?
I live in Kelowna BC, have looked at a few places in Vancouver but have not seen anything nearly as impressive as stuff on the internet!

Any comments greatly appreciated
Cheers
Ian Ward

Phillybean
09/08/2006, 03:41 AM
WHOA! Slow down there, your in Kelowna? Me too.

Reef Keepers in Rutland is ok they can order just about anything, the Pet Store in the Mission, has some corals too. Petcity (I think) the place on Harvey accross from Toys "R" Us has the best selection of inverts other then that, the best bet is to go to Seattle. The stores there can order anything in if you pre-book. What's your tank like?

boxfishpooalot
09/08/2006, 04:08 AM
try here www.jlaquatics.com

steve the plumb
09/08/2006, 07:08 AM
Try J&L Aquatics.You are not allowed to bring corals over the border.Don't even try.You will not be allowed to bring them over and you will have to leave them there or bring them back to the store.If you try to smuggle them in and get caught you will have to pay a fine aswell as have a record.The only allow certain types of corals and you have to have the scientific names.The y don't allow much either.The only thing you can do is get a sities permit and then have all the names of the species and then wiit a little bit of hassle you can bring them across the border.Its not that easy to do and if you do it buy alot of corals because the permit is a few hundred bucks.

slevesque
09/08/2006, 08:58 AM
I have just discovered this site: here (http://frags.ca/) It might be a good start.

xtopher_vw
09/08/2006, 09:39 AM
There is also www.oceanaquatics.com Those guys are very nice and will help you as much as they can, again J&L is good also. You can also try out ReefRaft.ca

ianward
09/08/2006, 10:58 AM
Wow, what a great response, thank you all VERY much.

First off, J&L are great, super staff, great prices etc etc, but I am at the stage with my tank where I am ready to start adding corals and really I want the best most colorfully corals I can get my hands on and J&L are very low on stock right now. I have stopped by twice now on trips into Vancouver (4 Hour drive) and their "new" shipment has not arrived, not their fault I know, but I am on holidays for 2 weeks right now and wanted to get something in the tank to start eating calcium and coloring up the tank. I have dropped by Hidden Reef as well but again nothing jumps out saying "arn't I gorgeous, take me home"!!

Anyway I am in no big rush so I will check the usuals next time I am in Van.

Hey Phillybean
I am on the westside by Mission Hill winery.
My tank is 5 months old now and I have
2 sleeper gobies, 1 neon gobie, 5 green chromis, a hippo tang and a royal gramma.
Here are pics of my tank and sump in basement.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/ianwardo/FishinTankAug06.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/ianwardo/DSC01428.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/ianwardo/Sump3.jpg

dirtyreefer
09/08/2006, 01:07 PM
Hey Ian, I'm originally from K-Town as well but now living in Coquitlam. Other than Hidden Reef, JL's, and Ocean Aquatics, there ain't much more of a selection for corals. I assume you want to keep SPS? There's a local board which I visit quite frequently where you can usually find other fellow reefers that sell frags and other stuff. PM me if you want the name.

P.S. you won't be able to purchase corals directly from the states unless you get a CITES permit, which isn't worth going through the hassle. www.Reefraft.ca gets in world class corals, but you also gotta pay for shipping etc, but its also nice to see what you're getting before purchasing as well.

swenard
09/08/2006, 02:05 PM
I live about 10minutes from reef raft and they are a top notch store! The best prices and best selection of anywhere around Toronto. I highly suggest ordering from them, they are very honest and won't give you crap if you order on-line.