PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Mushrooms!

Joshsmit56001
09/08/2006, 11:12 AM
Mushrooms are the worst coral, to me they are considered a nuisance algae. One will multiply into thousands and take over your entire tank! I just needed to come on here and vent my frustrations to some people that know what I am talking about. I am lkike every other reefer, started off with soft corals and mushrooms, thought they were cool until I started to buy hard corals. Moved to LPS corals and found some good ones, but also found some bad ones (galaxea, grrrr). Now I am really into SPS and the corals I thought were cool before are now just annoying. Man I can't wait to set up my 150 now. The problem I have now is what to do with all of the live rock in my 30 gallon right now that is covered corals I don't want. Maybe some of you can answer that question for me.

Frustrated,
Josh

DSMpunk
09/08/2006, 11:17 AM
A lot of people would love to have some of the corals you (and many others) consider a nuissance.

My suggestion is to either sell the rocks to local reefers or a LFS, or just trade them for straight up live rock. Most people would see that as a pretty good deal Im sure =)

six.line
09/08/2006, 11:21 AM
I would agree. If they're that much of a nuisance, trade the rock, pound for pound, with a store or fellow reefers. Odds are you'll be able to pawn it off people who are just starting, or those with soft coral dominated tanks.

Good luck.

impur
09/08/2006, 11:31 AM
Frag them off and trade for SPS frags. Thats what i did. I know what your talking about, mushrooms almost overtook my nano!

outy
09/08/2006, 11:39 AM
i was at that point once in a 100g my first 2 years of the hobby.

i didnt know what to do with them all, i had a new wife who put in a heniochus in my reef and he took care of half of everything before i could get him.

go into the stores and see what there charging for your nuisance algae and it will blow you away. :)

MCary
09/08/2006, 11:44 AM
Thats a great problem to have Josh. Like the others said. Frag them off and take them to the store. Get some rock rubble. Live or dead, it doesn't matter. Fill up a plastic container or 8x11 pyrex cake pan. Pull the little beggers off your rock and put them in the pan. Cover the pan with plastic netting. Synthetic hair nets or vegetable packing net works or anything else your imagination comes up with. If you leave any tissue on the rock after pulling them off, put some kalk paste on it or try scrubbing real hard. After the mushrooms reattach on the rock rubble, take them to the store and tell them you have some coral rock. Or try e-bay or the paper. Places sell mushrooms for $35 a rock. Or not. Just my 2 pennies.

Mike

STEELERFAN747
09/08/2006, 08:26 PM
Or you could just give them to me. I love mushrooms.

rockindacheeks
09/08/2006, 08:29 PM
my mushroms are "jumping ship" off their rock and floating around my tank trying to find a place with more room to multiply.

avshockey311
09/08/2006, 08:37 PM
I am having the same issue. I want to get some more LPS but cant due to mushrooms. Here is an older pic.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/avshockey311/FullTank.jpg

Joshsmit56001
09/08/2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys

PatrickJ
09/08/2006, 08:40 PM
I never code really grow mushrooms. I could only grow rhodactis sp.

SDguy
09/08/2006, 08:48 PM
Is mushroom overgrowth the same as xenia or nuissance algae growth...due to excessive nutrients? Just wondering, since I am setting up my new tank now, and don't want these problems. Also, though I have heard of this problem, it's certainly not the norm., IME. Just curious.....

avshockey311
09/08/2006, 08:53 PM
SDguy, It would not be a water problem, Its more like have too good of water that the mushrooms like it too much. Its just excessive reproduction due to moving. When they move they leave a trail behind them that "sprouts" new mushrooms. Before you know it you have a mushroom "problem"

SDguy
09/08/2006, 09:08 PM
I wasn't saying it was a water "problem"....I just notice in my own tank, I had the same 4 purple mushrooms for many years. It was only after I added some anthias, and began feeding the tank more, that the mushrooms finally started reproducing. Just adding some observations...I think mushrooms prefer higher nutrient waters.

Zoos
09/08/2006, 09:09 PM
Or you could just give them to me. I love mushrooms.

LMAO Ray

Always looking for a freebie

Peter Eichler
09/08/2006, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8107395#post8107395 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
I wasn't saying it was a water "problem"....I just notice in my own tank, I had the same 4 purple mushrooms for many years. It was only after I added some anthias, and began feeding the tank more, that the mushrooms finally started reproducing. Just adding some observations...I think mushrooms prefer higher nutrient waters.

You are correct in your thinking. If you're doing really well with mushrooms and they're producing like mad odds are a lot of lower nutrient/higher light loving corals wouldn't do so well in your aquarium.

CaliforniaDreamer
09/08/2006, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8107200#post8107200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by avshockey311
I am having the same issue. I want to get some more LPS but cant due to mushrooms. Here is an older pic.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/avshockey311/FullTank.jpg

Wow, looks like you have all of them, GSP, Mushrooms, and Xenia.

drummereef
09/08/2006, 10:33 PM
I really like mushrooms, so if either of you decide to frag, send them my way. :thumbsup: I'm not joking - seriously pm me. :D

MCary
09/09/2006, 01:47 PM
Trade rocks. Trade a big rock with muxhrooms on it with someone or some store for one without mushrooms on it.

Mike

glaudds
09/09/2006, 02:17 PM
LOL...I've been there too. As others have said, trade them, chip them off the big rocks and sell them. Beware or your tank will be overrun!!!!

Old picture...before the removal of the mushroom plague!!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/GLAUDDS/canon019-1.jpg:D

nethawk73
09/09/2006, 04:09 PM
I've got the same problem. i'm glad to see this thread here. Does anyone know the best ( cheapest and efficient) way to ship these frags? Could they be sent without being attached to rock? I have them all over my tank and alot of them are just floating around the bottom. I would love to turn them into $$ for more "toys". That way the wife would'nt be sooo ........ :love1:

ERICinFL
09/09/2006, 04:41 PM
I agree with most of the guys above. Trade the shroom covered rocks for, "clean" LR. I just got a nice piece of home made LR (about a 10lb piece) and a Birdsnest frag, for a small piece covered with 80 zoa polyps.

When I started this hobby, a guy told me something I have carried with me, when it comes to shrooms. Trim early and trim often. So far, so good.

jawaiianmon
09/09/2006, 05:20 PM
nice firefish avatar ERIC. LOL

ERICinFL
09/09/2006, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111768#post8111768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jawaiianmon
nice firefish avatar ERIC. LOL

Thanks, I traded some Mushrooms for it. :)

Cosmo^Kramer
09/09/2006, 05:50 PM
nethawk,you can ship them loose.Josh when you set up your 150 put the rocks with the mushrooms in the fuge/sump.They do fine in low light.I did that with a capnella that kept throwing babies,my fuge was full of em.Plus your tank will benifit with the extra live rock in the sump.Just a suggestion
PS if anyone has any red or blue shrooms,i'll take a few;)

avshockey311
09/09/2006, 06:11 PM
As you can see I have lots of red. We might be able to work something out.