PDA

View Full Version : mounting large colt?

Rsk8r4lif
09/08/2006, 11:45 AM
I posted this in the propogation forum, and i never get a response there, and since i need a quick response i'm posting it again here. I got a large colt frag, great looking frag, i just am trying to figure out how to mount it. The guy i got it from said just put it in between some rocks, but w/ the flow in the tank it just blows it out. and i tried the toothpick thing, but it just went right through it over night. The frag is like 5 inches...when its shriveled up, so i need a good method of attatching it. any good ideas? and quick before it dissapears? thanks

Avi
09/08/2006, 12:21 PM
I mounted a leather that hadn't been mounted on anything by drying the base of it....putting some super glue gel on it....using a big glob of Aquamend epoxy and placing some super glue gel on a depression that I made with my thumb....placing the base of the coral into the depression so the glues met....then molding the epoxy around the base of the coral. I then mounted the other side of the epoxy to a piece of rock. I was surprised but the mounting did work and the coral's now well settled and completely attached.

Rsk8r4lif
09/08/2006, 12:38 PM
hm thats a thought i might have to try that one, cuz its starting to float around. any other ideas?

Avi
09/08/2006, 01:39 PM
There's a method that I've seen used and that's to draw a piece of nylon thread through the base of the coral with a sewing needle and hold it to a piece of rock with the nylon thread. Many people are succesful with this method, but the one time I tried it with a leather coral, it seemed to have killed the coral, so I never pursued that idea again.

TKByrnes
09/08/2006, 01:43 PM
I have used the thread and needle method. It works ok. but i have had better luck using glue and the thread. especially in high flow areas. You can also use a rubberband. if you use the thread or the rubberband make sure you dont over tighten it. it will cut through the leather! good luck!

jpslickorocks
09/08/2006, 02:17 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/fotm/index.php

Rsk8r4lif
09/08/2006, 04:58 PM
I tried that toothpick idea last night, but when i woke up this morning, it had just broken off. So earlier today i took a toothpick and glued it straight up from a rock, and then pushed the colt down on that all the way throuhg it, so far it hasn't come off yet, we will see though