PDA

View Full Version : Question about seahorses

Eashton123
09/08/2006, 12:16 PM
My Girlfriend wants a seahorse, And I want Clown, Wrasse, Blennies, and Gobies.. I have read that seahorses are for an all seahorse tank. I was wondering from experience what do you guys/gals think about mixing fish and seahorses?

snowlancer2720
09/08/2006, 02:53 PM
hey, i posted this on another post a few days ago, but it I think it applies here also..

"i would pass on the clowns... even the most passive of fish will be to much for the horses IMO. at lest from what i have experienced. I had a firefish in mine that never bothered anyone, and the seahorses wouldnt eat because they were scared i believe; as soon as i took it out they were eating again......good luck with it though, i would get a pipefish also, although, i dont want it getting sucked into my filter "

all in all, i would just stick with with what you really want from the tank..if you want something that is very active, i would forget about the seahorses and do the clown, wrasse, blenny, goby thing..but if you want something calm id go with the seahorses..I have 2 tanks 1 of each...and i like both, but thats just my 2cents :D good luck!

djc1026
09/08/2006, 03:21 PM
I have fish and seahorses together, so it can be done. However, if you're just starting out, I wouldn't mix until you know more.

Dave

seahorsedreams
09/08/2006, 11:57 PM
If you pick appropriate fish you can mix them with horses. I personally won't be doing it because I have CB horses and nothing WC is getting mixed in with them. I didn't pay CB prices and have them shipped in to make them no "better" than the WC cheaper versions that are at the LFS.

pledosophy
09/09/2006, 02:10 AM
I would skip the clown, the wrasse, and many of the blennies IME. I have kept many fish with seahorses without incident IME. You do need to be careful with selection.

The safest way to go is Dreamers advice, but I think I would get bored.

Fredfish
09/10/2006, 11:23 PM
There are a number of fish species you can keep with horses.

There is a good article at seahorse.org in their library listing fish and their compatibility.

I would start with horses and, once they are established, ad other fish.

It also depends what size tank you have and how many horses you want to keep.

Fred.

Crued
09/13/2006, 04:27 PM
i have a tank bred ocearis clown in with my seahorses, he does fine. i would only do 1, in groups 1 may become dominate, and that may ruin the tank. gobies no problem. wrasses, i would not do. if they are not timid, they are fast and heavy eaters. and sometimes a wrasse will totally change it's disposition and become a regular 'ole bastard to the rest of the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8103934#post8103934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eashton123
My Girlfriend wants a seahorse, And I want Clown, Wrasse, Blennies, and Gobies.. I have read that seahorses are for an all seahorse tank. I was wondering from experience what do you guys/gals think about mixing fish and seahorses?

ReefNutPA
09/13/2006, 04:49 PM
Sorry Crued, I'd still not recommend a clownfish in a seahorse tank. In time, clownfish cause too many problems not only by their swimming patterns and behavior but by becoming more aggressive as they age. Most who tried adding clowns had to remove them within a few months as the seahorses became too stressed.

Tom

Crued
09/13/2006, 04:54 PM
i've yet to see the tank bred clowns act that way, and i've kept those for over 7 years. i switched from reef to seahorses and am only into it for 18 months, but i have 0 worries about my clown in relation to my seahorses. i'm sure tank size matters, mine being a 180.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8139347#post8139347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefNutPA
Sorry Crued, I'd still not recommend a clownfish in a seahorse tank. In time, clownfish cause too many problems not only by their swimming patterns and behavior but by becoming more aggressive as they age. Most who tried adding clowns had to remove them within a few months as the seahorses became too stressed.

Tom

pledosophy
09/13/2006, 08:27 PM
My tank bred clowns acted that way, but the tank was only a 44g.

TamiW
09/13/2006, 11:02 PM
It depends on many factors, but it is doable with caution. First, I'd say do it in as large of a tank as you can. The only clowns that I would consider are ocellaris. Try and get them to bond with a seahorse safe host - One pair I have loves hairy mushrooms and another hangs out in xenia. From my experience, those that have a host stay in a very small area. Actually mind don't even seem to notice seahorses as being fish, and only once did I ever notice them bothering seahorses; when a seahorse was actually hitched across the hairy mushroom pair's eggs.

Wrasses you'll be pretty limited with, but six lines do well most of the time. Most fairy wrasses will do fine too. I like the purple headed fairy wrasse (also called ruby or red headed, depending), they're very peaceful fish.

Gobies, you'll have a hard time finding one that WON'T work.

Blennies you have to be careful with. Most of the algae eating ones will harass seahorses to death. However swimming blennies do fine (for the most part). I would still keep an eye on them.

If this is your first tank; then I suggest building up the animals slowly. Always a good policy, but especially in this case because it will give you time to familiarize yourself with the interactions of the animals and what is normal behavior. If this is your first time to saltwater, I would start with gobies, after six months, get seahorses, after a few more months, get your wrasse. After a few more months, get your blennies, and last, the clownfish.

You will have to watch with feeding too, as mixing these types of fish can easily out compete seahorses for their dinner. I would recommend training the seahorses to a feeding station.

whatnot45
09/14/2006, 12:15 AM
Well I can allways recomend keeping jawfish and daimond goby's with seahorses. They are great little fish that make a burrow in the substrate and never ventrue far from it thus they never bother the horses.

r2odie
09/20/2006, 07:01 PM
FishGrrl,
where can i find out more about setting up a feeding station?

whatnot45
09/20/2006, 07:24 PM
http://www.seahorse.com/Aquarium_Life/Aquarium_Life/Feeding_Station/

ReefWidowed
09/24/2006, 09:51 PM
As far as a Wrasse, I have a female bird wrasse....and as much as I love her, she has severely limited her tankmates, she eats any sort of shrimp, including ones that look way too big for her, and while she so far doesn't go after other fish or inverts she is very very very active, in fact when the lights are on, you almost never see her slow down and enjoys chasing some of her tankmates, and that would put an awful lot of stress on seahorses

Ralph ATL
10/15/2006, 08:14 PM
test

Poniegirl
10/18/2006, 11:29 PM
I disagree with a large tank when planning anything other than a seahorse only tank. Over a 55 gal you run into issues with being able to assure yourself that the horses get sufficient food. The larger tank will require higher water flow (or exhaustive maintenance!) than might be desirable for seahorses.
I think the tankmate issue depends on how you see the tank 1, 2 years down the road. You should look at that aspect, not plan only for the moment.
Time between adding new mates, as Fishgrrl says, is a MUST. Seahorses first, then a tankmate 3 to 6 months from then. If you have not kept seahorses before now, definitely keep them by themselves for at least 3 months. You will need to learn their habits and needs.
Add ONE fish that is a juvie. And again allow enough time to let the tankmates and you settle into a pattern.
It is slow, but it can be done.