PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

Aquareefer776
09/08/2006, 06:24 PM
I have been reading in books and the forums alot but I can't seem to find the answer to the question I have about lighting. I have a 100Gal tank that is 60" long. When it comes to lighting I seem to be having issues finding lighting that is that long. Now here is my question: Do I need to ahve a lighting fixture that is the entire 60"? Or would a 48" lighting setup work? I know that the canopy would have to be the entire length but I am looking for the lighting setup itself. Thanks for the help!

navajo
09/08/2006, 06:28 PM
You could definately put a smaller fixture in there if you paid attention to your coral placement. Just be ready for the look. Some people like the bright/dim look in tanks, others find it hard to live with.

Of course, if you're talking about MH lights, just buy a retro kit and space them evenly in a canopy and you're all set.

I had a tank an odd shape too and just bought 2 shorter fixtures (PC) and put one in each end overlapping a bit in the middle. No light/dark areas.

Good luck!

Randall_James
09/08/2006, 06:30 PM
Well this all sort of depends on the level of lighting you are going to use CF/MH/T5 and the total wattage.

You of course do not need a 60" light by any means, but you will need to pay attention to lighting needs of any animals you put in the lower light areas. There is a ton of stuff that will thrive in less than "Intense" lighting so go for it.

I have seen 48" VHO/T5 laced (left align/right align) to cover the entire 60" so that no area is left in the dark. Mounting them in the middle would work but you will see a noticable fading on the outer sides of the tank is all.