PDA

View Full Version : 3D Fiberglass Backing

AspenLeaf23
09/09/2006, 09:42 AM
My very kind nephew gave us an 80 gallon tank to start up a salt water system. He had used a fiberglass backer that was three dimensional in a freshwater system in that tank. It looks nice as we are adding live rock slowly to the system. It gives it depth for now. We are concerned that this may not work for salt water systems but don't know how to find out if it is a problem or not. Does anyone have experience with this? How do I find out if I should use it with salt water?

avshockey311
09/09/2006, 11:00 AM
[welcome]

Do you have pictures? Also I would find out if your nephew dosed anything to the tank while it was fresh such as any copper based meds. As for the back ground a picture would help me. Good Luck!

AspenLeaf23
09/10/2006, 12:26 PM
Because my nephew has gone into some very high end reef systems I would guess that he hasn't used anything in the tank that would adversely affect it. He is on a trip right now so I can't ask him right now.
I will attach a picture.

Another question that I have concerns an accumulation on the bottom of the tank that I haven't ever seen. It looks like cotton candy...white cloud like substance. I don't have a clue what it is or what is causing it. Do I need more circulation? The water tests are fine...and the fish are happy. Perhaps it has to do with the bacteria we used to get the tank started???

Thank you for your help.

I put the picture into the members gallery. Hopefully you can find it. :)

AspenLeaf23
09/10/2006, 12:39 PM
I was supposed to tag my response with the pictures location...sorryhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/134405Fiberglass_Backing_3.jpg

avshockey311
09/10/2006, 01:07 PM
What do you have for flow now? Do you have a skimmer? I really cant say what the white stuff is with out a picture.