PDA

View Full Version : replacing sand

Pacman100
09/10/2006, 06:55 AM
What is the best way to go about replacing the sand in my tank? Right now I've got about 1" of crushed coral type live sand and would like to replace it with aragonite sand.

I was thinking it might be best to do it in 2 steps: Maybe replace half the tank, let it cycle for a few weeks and seed the new sand, then do the other side. And hope nothing crashes in the process. Also, how do you get the old stuff out without stirring up too much junk?

SCR
09/10/2006, 07:34 AM
No matter what method you choose, it's going to be a mess. Sounds like your on the right track doing it in 2 steps.
Some kind of vacuum set up should keep from stirring up too much junk.
If you have the room, you may want to use a temporary holding tank for everything in your tank now and do the change all at once. It means making more salt water for the change out.
The one method cost less and more time. The other method cost more but less time doing the change out. IMO, LOL

Mr James
09/10/2006, 08:08 AM
When I went the CC route a while back, I too decided to get out of it. I removed a couple cups every other day or so and replaced it with sand. Naturally, the sand will go to the bottom and the CC will work itself to the top. But I only added an inch of sand or so. And now I am bare bottom all the way. I have a remote DSB in my fuge.

Pacman100
09/10/2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the answers. I guess it isn't going to be pretty for awhile, but I can't stand the coarse sand that's in there now!

dozerjeep
09/10/2006, 12:08 PM
You have a 45 gallon tank? If so, I would buy a rubbermaid 50 gallon trash can and take ALL the rock out and do it all at once. I don't see any benifit to doing 1/2 at a time. I would also use some of that crushed coral sand on top of the fine sand. Good luck!