PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand - Best place to buy online

WhiteCloud
09/10/2006, 02:31 PM
I am currently cycling my 90 Gallon with 200lbs of Argaramax Sugar Sized and 60 lbs of Dry Base Rock from Reeferrocks.com. I have 3 shrimp in there as my source of ammonia.

I am thinking about actually buying Live Sand. I know that the sand will become live over time, but I really want a good variety of organisms in the sandbed.

I was going to buy some Live Sand from Tampabaysaltwater.com to seed my sandbed when I ordered my Live Rock from them. After looking at pictures of people who have used it...the sand was very dark and had very large grain sizes. It looks like it would really make the 2 layers of sand look a bit off in the tank.

Has anyone ordered some Live Sand that was lighter and whiter, fine grain size, yet still was full of "goodies".

Thanks!

Steve

sulcata1619
09/10/2006, 10:29 PM
Garf.org has some decent stuff. it comes from their tanks. Make sure you don't buy live sand from the ocean in the winter. you get alot of die off in the winter months. best is to get it from someone who already has a well established system.

arowanadream
09/10/2006, 11:59 PM
I will get it from LFS save shipping

drummereef
09/11/2006, 12:35 AM
Why not just add the sand you like and seed it with a cup or two from a fellow reefer's tank?

TekCat
09/11/2006, 01:27 AM
I agree totally with drummereef. The more cups from different reefers you get, the better bio-diversity you'll end up with.