PDA

View Full Version : live rocks need light?

neotekz
09/10/2006, 03:22 PM
i have too much live rock in my display, i want to try to make some room for more corals so can i put some live rocks in my sump with no lights? will the rocks stay "live" or will it just turn into base rock?

deepboy
09/10/2006, 03:36 PM
It will remain live just without the growth of diffrent color Caroline algae!

cutlass72
09/10/2006, 03:49 PM
the rock will actually do better in the dark it just won't look pretty. If you don't have strong flow in the sump, you will have to siphon the sump from any crud that falls from the rocks. Most people don't have elevated sumps, so if you don't, keep this in mind.

neotekz
09/10/2006, 04:08 PM
is there going to be any die off? so it will provide added filtration for my tank?

should i put the rocks in my intake or return section?

reefing4life
09/10/2006, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8116873#post8116873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by neotekz
i have too much live rock in my display, i want to try to make some room for more corals so can i put some live rocks in my sump with no lights? will the rocks stay "live" or will it just turn into base rock?

Rock in your sump will help with biological filteration. The rock will stay alive but the coralline algae will die off if you dont have some type of lighting on your sump.