PDA

View Full Version : calcium or kalk reactor questions

gibson981
09/10/2006, 05:19 PM
I am trying to plan out my auto top off. I want to integrate a calcium or kalk reactor. Do I absolutely need a ph controller? Or can I handle that a different way? Also, anything I need to know would be much appreciated. Plans and links also appreciated.

kgross
09/11/2006, 12:15 AM
First a calcium reactor has nothing to do with auto top off, you are wanting a kalk or neilson reactor as they are normally called. Do you need a PH controller no, but when you first hook it up you will want to monitor the PH closely to make sure that you are not dosing to much kalk into the tank. Depending on your evaporation rates you might not be putting enough kalk into the tank to keep up with your calcium demands at all.

Kim

gibson981
09/12/2006, 08:09 PM
I know a reactor has nothing to do with an auto top off, but can't one be integrated? I just want to know the best way to do that.

Fishbulb2
09/12/2006, 09:43 PM
Just go with a straight kalk reactor and monitor your pH frequently at first. A calcium reactor is A LOT more involved and typically requires frequent monitoring of pH, alkalinity, and Ca. Also they require a CO2 canister and lots of other goodies. Just start off with a kalk reactor (check ebay, I got one for about $80 i think). Definetely invest in a good Ca test kit. Too many people buy these reactors without even having any idea if they really need them.
FB

kgross
09/12/2006, 10:21 PM
Gerald.

I know of no way to integrate a calcium reactor with an auto top off. The kalk reactor (or neilson reactor) though works great when used as part of an auto top off

Pbrown3701
09/13/2006, 09:19 AM
I use a DIY Kalk reactor and do not have a pH controller. I have a pH monitor which i use to tell when the reactor needs to be refilled.

WOrd of advice - make your own. Don't splurge on clear pipe for the reaction chamber. I did this and have not looked in one time. It is very obvious when to add more kalk by monitoring pH. Mine hovers around 8.25 and drops to 8.05 or 8.1 when it is time to add more powder. If you need more help with how to build one, pm me and I'll email you some pics and directions.

gibson981
09/15/2006, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8136225#post8136225 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pbrown3701
I use a DIY Kalk reactor and do not have a pH controller. I have a pH monitor which i use to tell when the reactor needs to be refilled.

WOrd of advice - make your own. Don't splurge on clear pipe for the reaction chamber. I did this and have not looked in one time. It is very obvious when to add more kalk by monitoring pH. Mine hovers around 8.25 and drops to 8.05 or 8.1 when it is time to add more powder. If you need more help with how to build one, pm me and I'll email you some pics and directions.

I pm'd you.

Also, anyone who has diy kalk reactor advice, please chime in.