PDA

View Full Version : putting my tank back up

SDiver
09/10/2006, 08:58 PM
i have put my 75gal tank back up today and i have a couple of questions.
the tank has been sitting for 9 months half full of saltwater and liverock and livesand. i took some of the rock out and smelled of it. it didn't smell bad. don't know about the sand. will this cause alot of problems?

my fuge with sand has been dry for the same period of time.

i plan on doing some daily water changes. my ammonia is a little high but i excepted that. i have mag3 from the fuge to the tank and 3 mj1200s in the tank for circulation.

any help will be nice. trying to get back in the hobby.

Avi
09/10/2006, 09:21 PM
Well SD, the Mag3 is rated at 350gph but you'd have some flow ("head") loss getting the water up to the tank from the sump. The MJ1200s are rated at 300gph. So, overall, I think you should do something to increase the flow. I'd suggest that you add a Sieo to the MJs and put Hydor Flow Deflectors on the MJs:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11363&Ntt=hydor%20flow%20deflector&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Those would really improve the quality of flow that you'd have in your reef.

As to the Mag 3...the overflow you have most likely can handle a maximum of about 600gph. So, I'd recommend that you get a pump that will get about 450gph to your overflow. Use this to chose a pump for your particular configuration:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

You don't say anything about whether you have a good quality protein skimmer but I'd recommend that you get yourself a good one...don't settle on that. Also, you have to chose lighting based upon the depth of your tank and what kind of corals you will keep.

In the meanwhile, let the tank run and cycle...test often for the ammonia and for nitrates and don't put anything in until they're both down to zero.

SDiver
09/11/2006, 06:01 AM
Avi,
i was planning on getting a mag7 for my return. i have a t5 retro kit on the way. roght now i am not using a skimmer the one i had was junk but looking for a good internal or external skimmer.

as for as the rock and sand. they will be ok?
will a 10% water change be ok daily until it cycles?

Blown 346
09/11/2006, 06:07 AM
I would most likely clean the sand bed or replace it. If the tank was sitting with stagnant water I myself would reuse it that way and use it to cycle.

I wouldnt do a water change until after thetank cycles, if you do water changes daily you will fighting with the cycling process.
Let the tank cycle, then do your water change.

Unless the rock has alot of die off would be the only time I would do alot of water changes.

SDiver
09/11/2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks.

what kind of skimmer would you recommend?

Blown 346
09/12/2006, 12:18 AM
I love my Corallife Super Skimmer, never have had a single problem and does a great job at working.
Plus it wont break the bank.
I would get the 220.

SDiver
09/12/2006, 06:17 AM
how many times a day should i test the water until cycled? 1 or 2?

Thanks for the great help!!!

Blown 346
09/14/2006, 01:48 AM
I would test the water two or 3 times a week until cycled.

SDiver
09/14/2006, 04:23 PM
ok i'm testing it everyday.
ph 8.6
ammonia .5
trites .05
trates 50 went up yesterday from 20
alk low

i'm using a redsea test kit are they better one? counting drops sux!