PDA

View Full Version : Would a 2.5g support any mantis?

hypermikie
09/10/2006, 09:31 PM
First off don't yell at me! I have no clue how big they get....

I have a 2.5g that used to house a nice size pistol. Currently I have several nice little frags growing out in it and about 1 inch of sand and cut the Live Rock back to about 2-3 lbs. Misc. crabs and snails.

The tank is stable and has been up and running for several months. All corals showing growth and inverts doing well.

Are there any mantis I could house in it long term?

30mini
09/11/2006, 06:35 AM
Some of the very small species. Look at the Gonodactyls on Roy's list. There may be some on there that would be okay in a 2.5 gal. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

hypermikie
09/11/2006, 07:51 AM
G. affinis
G. Caldwelli
G. Childi
Haptosquilla hamifera
Haptosquilla glyptocercus

All according to Roys list only require a 10l tank...which roughly equivilates to 2.6g in my math.

Anybody have any experience with these particular species?

30mini
09/11/2006, 07:54 AM
I, personally, have a Glyptocercus. He never leaves his cavity, but can always be seen sticking his head out. I do notice that he switches from one to another from time to time. The others, can't say that I have any experience with.

Gonodactylus
09/11/2006, 09:28 AM
The most likely hitch-hiker that one might encounter is G. affinis. Maximum size is in the 25 mm range, so it could easily be held in a stable 2.5 gal. THere are dozens of species that do not grow larger than an inch and could be housed in this system, but i don't know how you would get them. The only species mentions that is not appropriate is G. caldwelli. It get to at least 3 inches.

Roy

hypermikie
09/11/2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies...

It sounds like my only source would be to get a captured hitch-hiker?

And then at that rate it would have to be properly identified to meet my set-up requrements...