PDA

View Full Version : 75 Gal Stocking List

GDAVIDSON7285
09/11/2006, 08:14 AM
75 is up and running Need help to make sure my list of fish would be ok??? This is what i want but not sure they will be ok in tank.
I have a Purpel tang 4 " i was going to move to this tank and a cow fish 3 " . then i was going to add

1 - snow flake eel or yellow head eel 4-5 "
1 - red volitan lionfish 3-4 "
1 - panther grouper 2-3 "
1 - nider trigger 2-3 "
1 - queen trigger 2-3 "
Please let me know what i should add or not add thanks:confused:

GDAVIDSON7285
09/11/2006, 08:33 AM
bump

Monkeyfish
09/11/2006, 08:40 AM
All of those fish, if properly fed, will outgrow that tank in about 12 months. If the cowfish becomes stressed (which is likely with the food competition and aggressiveness he faces) or dies it could potentially kill everything in the tank.

johno4
09/11/2006, 08:50 AM
pretty much every fish on your list will eventually outgrow your 75 except for the snowflake eel. You would have to upgrade your tank size probably within a year or two.

alancolinet
09/11/2006, 08:55 AM
Well, firstly I would consider the the purple tang and the snowflake eel. These two should get along well enough as long as the eel is fed regularly... though they are notorious for getting into a feeding frenzy when fed, so some care should be taken when feeding any of these eels. Mind you, the snowflake eel is not a known fish eater... but if the tang gets in the way, then accidents can happen, though not likely. The lionfish should also do well in this tank.

I would have concerns over the two triggers, the grouper, and the cow fish.

Lets start with the cow fish. They have the ability to release ostracitoxin, a poison that can kill all tank inhabitants. For this reason alone I would not consider adding this fish. Especially with that panther grouper in there.

The panther grouper should have a tank of at least 120 gallons or more... even though most sources won't mention that a recommended 300 gallon or more system is not out of the realm of possibilities. This is more due to the large amounts of waste that the grouper produces... but if you have aggressive skimming then 120-135 gallons should be sufficient. They also can reach about 15 inches long and should be in a tank that is 6ft long minimum. Anything... and I repeat... ANYTHING that looks bite-sized to this grouper will soon become lunch... with the cowfish being all nice and bite sized I could see your whole tank being killed when it releases its toxins. We don't want that.

The triggers should leave the panther and tang alone... provided that the tang is a fast swimmer. They should also leave the eel alone as well if enough liverock is provided for them.

I would include the snowflake eel, lionfish, purple tang, and the two triggers out what you have selected. The grouper needs a bigger tank and the cow fish could poison the whole lot of them if it were picked on by the triggers.

I like Triggers
09/12/2006, 10:40 AM
Well panther groupers actually reach more than 15 inches... they get about 27" actually. also, triggers are high energy aggressive fish who will most likley pick at the lion. they may not bother it, but i would say for the safety of both fish, if you do add them, be prepared to net one out if there is a problem.

LauraCline
09/12/2006, 05:31 PM
It's so hard to choose isn't it. The eel and the purple tang are ok for a 75, the rest get way too big. Ditto what everyone says about the cowfish even though they are really cool looking. Panther groupers get huge and are really ugly when they grow up, they don't stay pretty like they are when they're small. Queen triggers get huge and are super aggressive, they need a large species only tank. The queen would eventually kill everything in the tank. The triggers are also likely to nip the lion's fins. The lion will get about as big as a basketball, at 1/2 that size he's too large for a 75. Not to mention the copious waste, all these fish are messy eaters and will poop alot.

What about keeping the purple, getting the SFE eel, one of the toby puffers (about 5-6" max size and cool personalities), a foxface, and maybe some type of wrasse or a dwarf lion. Let us know what you end up with.

Monkeyfish
09/13/2006, 08:50 AM
I disagree about the purple tang. IMO the only tangs that will do well in a 75 are Koles, Tominis and Yellows and even the Yellow is pushing it.

JC1
09/13/2006, 05:55 PM
snowflake is fine

EchoUnderwater
09/13/2006, 06:49 PM
In a 75 - Snowflake - Lionfish, lots of fun. Or SF & a puffer.

mike Brolin
09/13/2006, 07:49 PM
puffer fish mike

LionfishFinatic
09/15/2006, 03:14 PM
in my opinion i think a purple tang, SFE, and lion are fine. but you will have to upgrade in about 1-2 years. right now i have a SFE and i am getting a lion and sum sort of puffer (not sure yet maybe a dogface) just a reminder these fish need ferocious skimming and lots of care. have fun with the SFE mine is so hilarious and is growing FAST!!!