PDA

View Full Version : Help With An Anenome, Please

nathan freedy
09/11/2006, 09:17 AM
I am having problems with an anenome I purchased last week. I cant get him to settle down in any one spot in my aquarium. He looks good, is fully opened and not shriveling. I have tried several different spots in the aquarium with varying amounts of light and water motion and nothing seems to work. I have good water quality and more than enough light. Does anyone have any good ideas for me? I appreciate what ever anyone can do.

druce
09/11/2006, 09:27 AM
kind of anemone? water flow, lighting, tank params, etc...

Snowboarder2757
09/11/2006, 09:29 AM
What worked for me when I got my anemone was to turn off all sources of flow for at least and hour or so. That will give him time and the ability to pick a spot and attach himself to whatever he wants. There is nothing you can do to speed it up. They will go wherever they want until they find a place they like.
But like I said, give him some time with no flow and see what happens.

nathan freedy
09/11/2006, 09:44 AM
The anenome is a bubbletip anenome, and I have a good deal of water movement in my tank. I'm showing no ammonia and very low levels of nitrite and nitrate. I have a 55gl tank, with two 250wt metal halides with 14k bulbs.

druce
09/11/2006, 09:52 AM
well you seem good with lights, chem and water movement. Try what Snowboarder2757 recommended, and see if he'll pick a place.

Randall_James
09/11/2006, 09:56 AM
You can not pick his resting place, he will.

If you do not like his resting spot, change the water flow in the tank

thor32766
09/11/2006, 10:08 AM
yes, just to let you know, BTA's are known for being constant movers. I have a buddy who has one in a 125 and hasnt stayed in the same place in over a year. But I have one in the 220 and he hasnt moved from the spot I first put him in over three months ago.

Amphiprion
09/11/2006, 11:46 AM
Yes, do allow the anemone to find its own place. Moving it constantly can only cause more problems.

itz frank
09/11/2006, 12:14 PM
If you read the Host anemone thread that is stickied here it tells you the typical requirements for anemones. If he's moving there's something that he doesn't like. Might be getting too much flow. Don't put your BTA in a high flow area. They like good light and moderate flow. Your lighting will be good but there might be an element in the water that the anemone is trying to get away from. Constant movement is a sign that your anemone isn't happy with it's tank. This applies even when it doesn't shrink. If it seems your anemone is constantly moving out of the flow area of a PH then maybe you just need to redirect your flow or turn it down some. I put one in my tank about 2-3 days ago and it hasn't moved an inch.