PDA

View Full Version : give me some sugar

coltsfan80
09/11/2006, 09:48 AM
after sugar dosing, how long is it before you can notice results in lowering the nitrates???

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/12/2006, 05:07 AM
In general, I don't recommend dosing sugar, but for those who do, the drop in nutrients will likely be done after 24-48 h. :)

coltsfan80
09/12/2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks Randy for your reply, I dont really like the idea of doing something "non natural" either, but I have tried everything. I have a 29 gal with approx 43-45 lbs of LR 2 inch DSB. I use ro/do water. I feed my small false perc clown and blue damsel a tiny dab of sweetwater zooplankton every 2-3 days. I was running a fluval filter with only carbon and phosban and denitrate, I cleaned that weekly, I since have 86'ed the canister for a HOB with carbon in a silter sock, just for water polishing. I am running a skimmer rated for 75 gal, It pulls out fairly dark skimmate that I have to empty weekly. I used amquel plus as well...that didnt work along with anyother chemical I have tried. I bought a large ball of chaeto algae over a month ago...still no drop. I have done 2 very large water changes, using nothing but ro/di water that tests 0 for nitrates and phosphates...I use instant ocean salt...I have tried different test kits...all other parameters are fine. ammonia 0 nitrite 0 ph 8.4. I am going to be upgrading to a larger tank within a year and i dont want to have to buy some of that really expensive equipment for this tank then have to turn around to buy it again, so it will fit the larger tank....I just cant seem to find where these nitrates are coming from....

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/13/2006, 04:48 AM
FWIW, vodka dosing has somewhat more of a following, although I do not know for sure that it is a better additive.