PDA

View Full Version : Discuss: Who uses UV Sterilizers and how you've put them to use?

rsteagall
09/11/2006, 02:15 PM
I wanted to start a discussion about who uses UV Sterilizers and what has been is your experience with them. What schedule do you run it on?

I for one have one and run it 24x7. I've not had an ich breakout in the past 15 months since I've been back in the hobby. I did however have some strange infection that only affected and killed all my Chromis' that is still unexplainable to this day.

From what I understand they are supposed to help with algae problems, but yet I still fight hair algae even though I replace my water with RO/DI and a TDS meter reading of 0. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm pushing too much flow through my UV filter. I'll be checking on this rate tonight and will probably slow it down just to make sure.

Please... tell us what you have and your experiences.

gflat65
09/11/2006, 03:12 PM
I only ever ran one on the 'FOWLR'. It wasn't just a FOWLR... I ran it 24/7, also, with a Magnum 350 filter. I never had any issues after hooking it up, but I still got algae. I may have been running too much flow, too. I'm not running one now, though... The end of the 75 ended my brief experience with UV sterilizers.

fishdoc11
09/11/2006, 06:49 PM
I ran a 25 watt Aqua on my 90 for about a year. I noticed a slight increase in water clarity(from slight sps lightening upon addition of the unit) but beyond that little effect besides heat addition. When I quit using it I really couldn't tell a difference with it offline....could have been the bulb was old by that point.
Chris

sherm71tank
09/11/2006, 07:05 PM
Used one before and don't now. Didn't notice anything when I took it offline.

phudeb
09/11/2006, 07:53 PM
I use a 36W Turbo Twist on my 75 gal. I had a problem with ich for several months, once i hook up the UV within days ich was gone. I was running it 24/7 off of my return (mag7). Now I run it at night with my fug lighting. Did notice slight water clarity.

Pickupman66
09/11/2006, 08:44 PM
I dont use one at all. never have as I really didnt think I needed one. I cannot remember the last ICH outbreak I had. Maybe 4 years ago or so. I did have some fin rot on my watanebei angel, but cleared that up with mayrcyn. I do have one on my Rodi system (came with it). truthfully, it does add some heat to that water, and if there are bacteria in it is theoreticallay would kill to keep it out of the filter itself. I dont have a hair algae issue at all. the issue is that the UV not only kills hair algae spores, but also Coraline spores. I want all the coraline spores I can get my grubby paws on.

boofer
09/11/2006, 09:31 PM
I use 2 15 watters as add-ons to my chiller on mine. Only ran them 2 months before I had to tear down, so couldnt really tell either way. It did put off more heat and I still had some algae problems, but I dont think it was online long enough to make a big difference. Ill use them again when I set back up and see what happens.

fishdoc11
09/12/2006, 04:26 AM
FWIW hair algae is allmost allways a result of nutrient ( typically phosphate (P) ) levels and sometimes it's hard to tell because the algae will consume most P before our hobbyist kits will detect it.
Chris

rsteagall
09/12/2006, 10:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8127408#post8127408 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
FWIW hair algae is allmost allways a result of nutrient ( typically phosphate (P) ) levels and sometimes it's hard to tell because the algae will consume most P before our hobbyist kits will detect it.
Chris

I agree thats what it should be, but considering my bioload, I don't think I should be having the least little bit of an issue. However, I am increasing my macro farm size (see other thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=926892 )

When you treat with other medications that reside in the water column, I wonder how effective a UV filter is at helping to remove/breakdown the medication. Could this be yet another usefulness? I know when treating for flatworms, it was suggest to turn off UV filtration.

On a side story and no way would I suggest this knowing the facts... the guy I bought the UV filter from admitted that he purposefully introduced a fish into his tank one time that had ich. He was convinced that the UV filter would take care of it and the quality of his tank would overcome the ich infested fish. Well.... it did. Was it luck? I don't know... but after that story and for the price of a UV filter and as cheap as replacement lamps are... I don't know if I'll ever NOT run one.

fishdoc11
09/12/2006, 03:31 PM
I would call your bioload "moderate" but that's really all subjective and dependant on how you run your tank. Getting a good P kit would be a good idea. I seriously doubt a UV is going to have a serious effect on your nutrients unless you have a very large one ie 40 or 80 watt on that size tank and even then you need something to remove the broken down P after it molecularly dissassociates....something like a large skimmer.
Nutrient problems are typically associated with nutrient buildup somewhere in the tank FWIW... ie in the sand/rock, under your rockwork etc.....
hth, Chris

rsteagall
09/12/2006, 07:20 PM
Yes, I don't expect it to have an effect on nutrients either. I may have some nutrient build up in my CPR Aqufuge PS after its been running now for about 10 months or so. Cheato may have held detritus and caused the buildup because it was so densly packed in.

Any one else want to share their UV experience? Anyone else looking at getting one?

ppht
09/12/2006, 07:32 PM
Nice thread as I am considering a 50Watt HO UV Emperor for my 90 Gal.

Kalied20
09/13/2006, 09:15 PM
Looked into one a little while ago, but all the problems that they are suppose to help or prevent......crossing fingers....I have not had them. So I did not get one.

sherm71tank
09/13/2006, 09:36 PM
Changing bulbs on time, keeping it clean, ensuring proper water flow. These are things that will tend to get overlooked in your system. If you miss one then you are only adding heat and wasting electricity.

rsteagall
09/13/2006, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8141415#post8141415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherm71tank
Changing bulbs on time, keeping it clean, ensuring proper water flow. These are things that will tend to get overlooked in your system. If you miss one then you are only adding heat and wasting electricity.

... just part of normal weekly checks.