PDA

View Full Version : Is BB tank a better way to go?

fabbss
09/11/2006, 02:59 PM
Is is a BB a better alternative or would a very thin sand bed be just fine.

I have heard from others who have had a DSB that when the switched the wouldn't go back.

blide
09/11/2006, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the great debate! Do some searching and you will find more than enough information on that subject.

Here is just one BB thread with pics that has plenty of debate...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=640711&perpage=25&highlight=bare%20and%20bottom&pagenumber=1

chrisaggie
09/11/2006, 03:47 PM
You will find people on both sides of the fence. It's almost like politics. Both believe the other side is wrong, but in the end both ways can work.

fabbss
09/11/2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the additional thread blide, I'll check that out.

NuclearReefs
09/11/2006, 05:09 PM
It depends on what kind of tank you are wanting to keep.....

Setting up a reef is like going on vacation with nowhere in mind to end up .. Its a journey... SPS Tanks seem to do better BB because of the higher flows needed and soft coral tanks seem to do good with the sand beds with the higher nutrient levels....

Each is okay just depends on what your goal is and what kinda environment you want to establish....

fabbss
09/11/2006, 05:12 PM
Strictly, SPS is what I had in mind.

NuclearReefs
09/11/2006, 05:14 PM
Id reccomend Starboard them. No Substrate.... High flow...

chrisaggie
09/11/2006, 05:28 PM
I would recommend DSB. Here starts the debate. Like I said, both can work. Each has advantages that the other can not offer. I have never seen too much flow with sand as long as you don't point the flow directly at hte sand. I think that point is not a good one.

NuclearReefs
09/11/2006, 05:34 PM
True Chris.. Alot of it is the look too..
some like one.. some like the other....They both can work...

menard
09/11/2006, 05:38 PM
My tank used to be BB back in the 80's, It was a succes but then again I like the natural look so now my tank has plenty of sand And i'm loving it. ( Dont do it if U dont know how to manage a sand bed, it will give U nothing but troubles )
I learned and ace how to keep sand bed functional. My 300 is 99% SPS.............So go figure !!:D

fabbss
09/11/2006, 05:43 PM
Please share the wealth menard. So, DSB can be a hassle if you don't care for it properly. Can't you stir up nitrates when you clean the sand bed?

Can't trapped air in a DSB become a problem?

I have seen some tanks with clean looking DSB and I have seen some that look a little too natural if you know what I mean.

fabbss
09/11/2006, 05:50 PM
Menard, I was looking in your gallery. The rock work looks sweet, did you glue it together to get that look?

And man, awesome looking colors what kind of watts and Kelvin are you using?

trueblackpercula
09/11/2006, 06:03 PM
BB is a good start and if you don't like it add A DSB :) I run a BB tank And love it...............................................................

chrisaggie
09/11/2006, 06:05 PM
I try my very hardest to stay out of these debates, they give me a headache :beer:

REEF-DADDY
09/11/2006, 06:06 PM
Either will work but I am a die hard BB guy. To me its easier, run ridiculous flow, and a ridiculous skimmer. IME DSB requires more finesse

Large Polyp Dave
09/11/2006, 06:08 PM
Both work very well if setup/maintained properly.

Both fail miserably if setup/maintaned improperly.

chrisaggie
09/11/2006, 06:09 PM
You're right, BB are the only way to grow sps.

menard
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124411#post8124411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fabbss
Menard, I was looking in your gallery. The rock work looks sweet, did you glue it together to get that look?

And man, awesome looking colors what kind of watts and Kelvin are you using? Thank U :)
My tank is is very different what U guys run now adays.
Its a modified Plenum w/ varius grain of sand , 3 rd screen is applied for easy siphoning of sand every 5 yrs. plus lots of Nasarius Snais to keep the sand bed clean. I been doing this for almost 11 yrs now, I siphon the bed once and replaced w/ new live sand. Every 5 yrs I will do this.

The arch is made of PVC and Tonga branch and slab rock is placed on top. Now the corals are fused together , cant even see the PVC nomore, coralline took over the pipes.

The tank is lit by 400 w14 k and VHO super actinics.

chrisaggie
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124539#post8124539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Large Polyp Dave
Both work very well if setup/maintained properly.

Both fail miserably if setup/maintaned improperly.

Smartest thing I've heard in a long time.

twon8
09/11/2006, 06:21 PM
they are different and effective, more personal preference; though if you have extreme flow bb is much easier to deal with.

i have one tank bb, one tank with sand

fabbss
09/11/2006, 06:37 PM
This may be a stupid question so bare with me what is a Plenum?

dots
09/11/2006, 06:45 PM
I am not looking back from BB now!!

REEF-DADDY
09/11/2006, 06:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124546#post8124546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrisaggie
You're right, BB are the only way to grow sps.

Whats this mean?

trueblackpercula
09/11/2006, 06:56 PM
Here we gooooooooooo

Aqua Keepers
09/11/2006, 07:05 PM
As said above, if done right, both will work. However, I like BB because nothing gets a chance to break down in your tank. It's all removed, and because of this, I feel you can keep a much higher fish load with BB.

MiddletonMark
09/11/2006, 07:11 PM
I've run a couple different methods [DSB, BB, shallow bed] and have found positives to all.
Things that can be problematic about all three, too.

All three can be run right, I could give you jaw-dropping examples of all of them.
All three can be run poorly, or not succeed. Different methods seem to work well for different folks. Learn all you can about the one you choose to run, both the positives and the negatives/issues.

I'm sure you'll find enough of them in all the debate threads, just backtrack a year or more and there's more than most would ever want to read :lmao:

IMO it's far more about the husbandry, good water quality/chemistry, and patience/planning more than substrate or dosing method. Behind most jaw-dropping tanks, you find some devoted keepers with great observation and maitenance habits ... though varied substrate.

chrisaggie
09/11/2006, 07:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8124911#post8124911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEF-DADDY
Whats this mean?

I was being sarcastic.

Cosmo^Kramer
09/11/2006, 07:39 PM
fabbss,heres a good read on a Plenum.

http://www.pgjr.alpine.k12.ut.us/aqua/plenum.html#Why

I went with a 1" sandbed and a plenum under my live rocks.It seems to be working ok,my taks been up for 4 years.I had a calupra take over last year and almost quit.I've left the tank alone for the past year with no livestock and the water is perfect today.I give credit to the plenum and shallow sandbed.In Bob Goemans PhD book live sand secrets,if you don't use a plenum the max a sand bed should be is 1".But theres more then one way to a sucsessful tank.I'll be stocking my tank with corals only very soon.No more fish for awhile

fabbss
09/11/2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the good info Cosmo^Kramer. Do they have any positions open at Vandaly Industries. LOL

REEF-DADDY
09/11/2006, 08:17 PM
edit

unsubscribe/ Reef-Daddy out
:wavehand:

FEEDERFISH
09/11/2006, 09:08 PM
I like my BB, my other tank with sand will be BB in about a month. I just don't like sand blowing up on my rocks, and burrying my corals. My BB is alot easier to clean and more pleasent to the eye, just my opinion