PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Crew

FishinAround
09/11/2006, 08:35 PM
Currently in the process of setting up a 120g reef tank. Have started a basic cleaning crew with 10 astraea snails, 5 medium red legged crabs, 5 small blue legged crabs and 1 sally lightfoot. Will a 120g support more than 1 sally lightfoot and does it make sense to add another one? What about snails, the astraea snails seem to do an excellent job, should I just add more or is there another type of crab that I should consider, I want something that is peaceful and gets along with everyone. What about shrimp, something like a peppermint shrimp, can you have more than one?

Kennyboy1984
09/11/2006, 10:59 PM
Yes you can have more than one peppermint shrimp. They may even reproduce in your tank and provide larval food for the tank. Another good shrimp is the skunk cleaner shrimp. I think for a 120 you will need more hermits and snails. Also if your going to have a deep sand bed look into some cerith or nassarius snails to eat detritus and sift the sand. Also a cucumber and maybe a serpeant sea star.

stykthyn
09/11/2006, 11:04 PM
good rule for thumb is 1 cleaner per gallon.

FishinAround
09/12/2006, 10:30 AM
Are scarlett hermit crabs compatible with red legged and blue legged hermit crabs or will they fight over shells? I guess the question is, should I stick with red & blue legged crabs or is it OK to add scralett hermit crabs?