PDA

View Full Version : Minor flood problems

ryancaudill
09/11/2006, 09:24 PM
I have an auto topoff for my RO/DI. Well I was screwing around with my skimmer and I trapped my float valve in the on postion with my return line comming out of my sump. Well several hours later (probably about 5) right before I was going to hit the sack I went to check my temp. Noticed a large puddle coming from the tank as I walked into it. PANIC STRUCK then gradually subsided after the cause was discovered and the floor de-puddled. I think everything should survive (fish, zoos, shrooms, and LPS). Well the only concern now is my salinity. It dropped from 1.023 to 1.018. How should I bring this back up. Ironic part is I ordered a bucket of salt tonight. Looks like I wil be making a salt purchase at LFS.

What would be the most friendly was to my tank inhabitants to get salinity back up. Over a few hours, 1 day, or let it evaporate off (probably would take about 1 week)???? Any replies greatly appreciated as I will read tomorrow as I finally hit the sack.

TKByrnes
09/11/2006, 10:04 PM
mix up a batch of saltwater and top off with that untill the salinity gets back to where you want it.

funman1
09/11/2006, 11:01 PM
I use TWO float switches for this exact reason, one is set higer then the "main" switch so if the main fails for ANY reason the higher switch will cut out the ATO. This way no floods, no major Sal problems ect.. and an extra float switch only costs like $4.00 so it was def worth it.

Just slowly bring Sal back up to where you want it in the course of a few hours.

Some say days but I don't buy into this. My LFS runs their tanks at 1.018 and I run my tanks at 1.025 so I bring up the sal .007 points in like 1/2 an hour with no major ill effects so I would think you would be ok.

~Steve~

ryancaudill
09/12/2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys. Glad i am somewhat obsessive about things which prevented potentially a much bigger mess. 2nd float valve sound like a must.