PDA

View Full Version : Controling Bubble size

MIOR6485
09/12/2006, 08:09 AM
How do you control bubble size in the skimmer. I am running a 30" skimmer that has a 9.5" diameter body and a 4" neck. It is powered by two sedra 9000 NW. I have noticed that there is a lot of turbulance in the reaction chamber which I am thinking of placing a tee at each pump output to control. But I am unclear as to what affects BSize. Is it amount of air, angles of outlets or simply, too much pump for the diameter/height.

The pumps, as everyone nows creates good micro bubbles but as they reach the coned flange and enter the riser tube they become huge bubbles. This skimmer is new and in operation for about 1 solid day (had several problems). Should I give it a couple of days before re-evaluating?

any help is appreciatedhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/4592NWskimmer_1.jpg

Roland Jacques
09/12/2006, 08:48 AM
i think it alot of pump on their but you have to give it a few days.

have you been able to detirmine how much water is going thu that skimmer? i would guess to say your air volume is fine but you my be pumping way much water. but just wait for now.

Roland Jacques
09/12/2006, 08:50 AM
i would concider putting a bubble plate/diffuser in thier. and maybe recirc it. it a good looking skimmer.

smjtkj
09/12/2006, 09:40 AM
You can pour a 1/2 cup of skimmate into the neck and it will speed up the break in process by coating the skimmer body.

RichConley
09/12/2006, 09:42 AM
Generally, bubbles combining in the neck and becoming larger is a sign of too much air for the neck. Try valving off the air on the Sedra just a tiny bit, and see if it gets better.

MIOR6485
09/12/2006, 10:49 AM
The pic of the skimmer is as I recieved it. As a point to consider, never connect the breathers to the collection cup on a NW skimmer. The idea made sense in preventing the inlet from clogging and that Lifereef venturi skimmers are known for doing this but what a mess this created. As I was adjusting the ball valve, the cup filled resulting in the intakes from clogging. This caused the pumps to operate at full potential without any incomming air. This caused the collection cup to shoot up spilling water all over the place. It looked like those umbrellas attachements you purchase for a pond. NOT GOOD! I have installed a gate valve for ease of adjustments and added silencers to quiete the intakes. I will post pics tonight. I will add valves to adjust the air intake. thanks for the advice.