PDA

View Full Version : food?

mfishy
09/12/2006, 11:00 AM
at the moment i am feeding my fish marine flakes, frozen brine shrimp and this stuff call cyclop-eeze its like a powder. they love the brine shrimp most but i have been told that it hasn't got enough nutrients in it. the powder the small fish like 2, but the flake they are fussy with. can anyone recommend a good food

bheron
09/12/2006, 11:37 AM
dry foods are good. same as flakes, but even better, is the pelltt version. i like it b/c i think more of it gets eaten, whereas flaked can disintigrate so much that it goes all over the tank. you dont want alot of uneaten food that can break down into waste.

also, yes on the brine shrimp. a nice snack (aka junk food) but no nutritional value unless you harvest the yolks they are hatched in.. you should be just find with dry food.

Randall_James
09/12/2006, 11:40 AM
I would replace the brine with Mysis (thaw and rinse before using).
Without knowing what is in your tank, what to feed is hard to say. Cyclopeeze is a favorite to many fish/inverts and even some corals.

Many frown on flakes due to phosphates. I feed flake food all the time with no trouble (provided I turn off pumps and remove uneaten food after about 5 minutes). Just dumping any food into the tank can cause algae problems if it is not eaten IMO.

For smaller fish, I just dice up the mysis a bit (scissors work great)
I do soak the mysis in "Selcon" twice a week or when I think about it.

Cost is actually a pretty good indicator of food quality btw. Better foods seem to cost more... go figure

MCary
09/12/2006, 11:59 AM
I have every kind of frozen food you can imagine. But one of the fishes and corals favorite is Formula 2 flakes. Second only to blood worms. Man my fish love blood worms.

Mike

mfishy
09/12/2006, 02:01 PM
i was told that blood worm is bad for marine fish

Andrew
09/12/2006, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8130410#post8130410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfishy
i was told that blood worm is bad for marine fish

Very True. Causes liver problems in the future.

flinka
09/12/2006, 03:43 PM
My clowns love mysis shrimp soaked in garlic and selcon.

Ti
09/12/2006, 04:42 PM
I make my own now a days.
Gives them variety everyday.

MCary
09/12/2006, 05:10 PM
Very True. Causes liver problems in the future.

References please?