PDA

View Full Version : how to protect eggs/baby clowns

reefnetworth
09/12/2006, 02:29 PM
my clowns are about 1.5 years old. they have a purple BTA they've been hosting. the f-male appears to be pregnant.
my husbandry concerns are how to protect eggs and babies from other fish (yellow tang, foxface lo) and blue-legged hermits. is there a proven method other than dividers? i dont have room for any additions (LR) space is prime realestate. any and all sugestions will be appreciated. thanks, have a great day, and as always, REEF-ON!

Juck
09/12/2006, 02:43 PM
The eggs need to be removed and hatched elsewhere,, or collected as soon as they are hatched and moved to a larval rearing tank.

Your clowns should protect the nest from other fish in the tank,,, but even herbivores will have a field-day when they hatch.

Get the Clownfish book by Joyce Wilkerson if you intend raising these fish,,, all the information you need is contained therein.

reefnetworth
09/12/2006, 02:59 PM
thanx Juck. ill check out the book. i have another tank i can rear the babies/juviniles in once hatched. preciate' the help. have a great day and REEF-ON!

dantodd
09/12/2006, 04:24 PM
Be sure to keep us updated if you choose to raise the fry.

www.rotifer.com and www.florida-aqua-farms.com have all the specialized equipment, food, cultures you'll need.

reefnetworth
09/13/2006, 03:24 AM
will do ya'll. i just got home, and my wife said the f-male wouldnt let the male in the BTA. she is runnuing off the tang if it gets anywhere close. this is the second time for them. the first was on the broken/back edge of a champaigne bottle from our wedding. (thanx Pual B, lol) they got devoured in a couple days because i didnt see the eggs till they hatched. ill keep ya' posted, now that i can see things a little better. have fun and REEF-0N!