PDA

View Full Version : Too often water changes

Von_Rahvin
09/12/2006, 02:48 PM
Is this possible? I go offshore fishing once a week so i can get as much fresh saltwater as i care too get. With my little 24 nano reef how often should i do water changes??

Charlie97L
09/12/2006, 03:26 PM
well you need to let the bacteria establish... i'd do once a week, maybe 10-15%.

be careful with NSW. a lot of times it has to go through additional processes to be safe for an aquarium. you could get a sample and check that, ask guys you know locally if they do the same, and run all the standard tests yourself. different areas will have different params. seawater isn't the same everywhere :)

noschmo
09/12/2006, 03:38 PM
let the sea water sit in an area with no light for a couple of weeks and you will have no problem with it. Only way to go if available which we get thru local university. I change weekly 15-20%.

Agu
09/12/2006, 08:54 PM
I used NSW for a while, until red tide and hauling buckets of water became an issue. If it's fresh a 10 to 15% water change/week works great.

I've never let it age due to concerns of dieoff and subsequent potential pollution of the tank.

I doubt you'll have problems but in the Gulf sg of close to 1.030 isn't unusual.