PDA

View Full Version : 230 p.p.m. TDS into the RO???

reefkoi
09/12/2006, 09:21 PM
I just setup a new Ro unit, this one has dual TDS meters, the In side from my house is reading 230 ppm the out on both is at 0.
Is'nt that extremely high ? Indicating our water is very hard, or has a lot of garbage in it? We have a central well system, installed about 8 years ago, 100's of houses connected.
I would imagine this high reading means the Membrane will clog soon and need a backflush?
Thanks
Chris

marduc
09/12/2006, 09:48 PM
I routinely get incoming readings of just over 300 on my ro/di unit.

My RO cartridge is the same one as when I bought the unit (over 3 years ago), and I still get outgoing readings of 0 as long as I replace the other cartridges.

reefkoi
09/12/2006, 09:52 PM
so when does it need to be replaced? I have a pressure gauge that came with the unit and I thought that it indicated RO membrane performance. The way I think about it the house has 60 psi and it really cant go over that So i'm guessing the gauge just tells me if I have enough pressure? The new unit I bought from spectrapure seems to be missing instructions so I'm not up to date on the features.
Chris

seattlerob
09/12/2006, 10:14 PM
Chris: your prefilters will need changing sooner due to the higher tds. The sediment & carbon filters that are before the RO membrane. Pressure gauge on the RO/DI unit would be an indicator for this. The RO membrane should easily outlast those 2 filters I believe.

Flushing the RO membrane is a good practice to extend its life. Flush kits are inexpensive and very easy to install.

hth,
rob

reefkoi
09/12/2006, 10:26 PM
So if the pressure gauge goes up or down? I need to replace the prefilters?