PDA

View Full Version : Woot! first post!

Twisted
09/13/2006, 11:50 AM
Just thought I would let you guys know I had a minor crash over the last week.

As you know my tank is damn near a fish only tank, with a small amount of live rock and some basic soft corals with a few other additions.

Anyways, like a moron, I bought a batfish, he is very cool, even though he will out grow my tank in a short time, he is also very weak against Ich. So I started useing Kick Ich against it, after a couple weeks of useing it, I read the instructions...

So with my filter, I am running Carbon, which seems to pull the kick ich right back out of the water. My filters are one piece and seamed together, so to remove the carbon I had to remove the entire filter...

After a few days, my corals start to shrivel, and go limp. The water starts to cloud...everything looks like poo.

So, I freak, I do a 20% water change, I put the filter back together...

Water looks a lot better, my horseshoe crab starts comming out again.....wait, what is that? My Xenias! My Xenias are melting...no, no, they are gone!

My horseshoe crab starts pushing around the sand and kicks up my new sand sifting star...well, what seems to be left of it....

My feather duster died, my Skunk shrimp isn't moving.....my leather tree and toadstool are laying down and not opening....

Well, moral of the story...don't always follow the directions. When it says to remove the filters, don't, as Steve pointed out to me after the fact, only remove the carbon not the entire filter.

Luckly it didn't seem to hurt my fish, or my other inverts. Still not sure my other polyps will open back up, and my mushrooms look like they are still alive, but still not opening all the way.

Here is to another learning experience.....

mrbncal
09/13/2006, 11:56 PM
Hey there i'm a recent transplant from socal . . . when all the booing and hissing has stopped i'll continue. . . anyway glad to be here. Except for the 118+ temps once in awhile this place is heaven on earth. I look forward to meeting some new reef friends here. I just found the club flyer on craigslist and im looking forward to attending when i can, as long as people dont throw things at me for moving up here. Anyway I had a 75 setup that I brought with me to set up, but have not yet due to the heat issue. Would like to hear from anybody on how they deal with the heat. Anyway thanks for starting a club and forum here and I look forward to getting to know some people here.
Thanks Mike

nova67
09/14/2006, 12:55 AM
hi mike welcome to town.i moved up here from the bayarea about 5yrs ago its been great.i am the president of the club so if you have any Qs adout any thing you can post here or call the number or email that is on the club flyer or stop in to salt water to go aquarium shop where i work.the club is fairly new so we only have a handfull of members so any new people we can get is great.the meetings start at 6:30 but most dont show up til about 7:00

thanks micaiah
R.A.R.E

nova67
09/14/2006, 12:56 AM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/nova1967/clubflyer.jpg

Twisted
09/14/2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, welcome to the area, we have no beef with socal people. Most of them think we are backwoods folk. But usually learn rather quickly we have everything they have, just prefer our mountains and lakes to the sidewalks and parking lots!

Anyways. Hope to see you at the club meetings this month. It's the last tuesday of the month and I think that is like the 26th...

As far as the heat. I am only running a 55 gallon at the moment and have yet to have a problem with the temps. My house has central air, and my tank is near one of the floor vent., My heater might come on once a day for a couple minutes and keeps my water at a very steady 79 degrees.

I know some people with just swamp coolers have used a small chiller, but even they said it was rarely used, only a few days out of the summer.

mrbncal
09/15/2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome . . . I will do my best to get to the meeting. I miss my reef. Had it going for 4 years in a 29 and then upsized to a 75 AGA reef ready tank that ran for another four years before giving all the animals to friends nad heading up here. We bought a house here in Redding that has swamp cooler so it gets a little hot and muggy in July and August. But the rest of the year is great. Hopefully the tank will finally get a spot this winter, and I can start cycling the rock (which is dry now) and growing stuff again. I've got some ideas for an in ground heat exchange system that I'm going to try...I'll keep you posted on how that goes. Anyway, I look forward to meeting the Redding Reefers soon.

Twisted
09/15/2006, 07:51 PM
Well when your ready to set up your tank let us know, I'm sure you can get a gallon or two from everyone, that should add up to let's see....carry the one....add the second column...ummm roughly 8 gallons...how sad.

Anyways we would be more then happy to help out, I have lots of Nitrates, and Nitrites right now if you need them....ok maybe you won't but I have to get rid of them!