PDA

View Full Version : False 0.25 ammonia reading?

fishgirl1
09/13/2006, 02:44 PM
I read in one of the previous posts that sometimes a false positive from ammonia is found. How do you know if it's false or not. My other values are as follow:

pH 8.2
Alk 120
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.25
Calcium 380
Sg 1.023
Temp 82

How would I know if my ammonia is true???

Thanks for any help. I have a new fish coming tomorrow!

boxfishpooalot
09/13/2006, 02:47 PM
What test kit?

If its Salifert, check here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=628038&highlight=ammonia+test+kit

Boomer
09/13/2006, 02:54 PM
Not all readings are false. Newly mixed seawater has about that much ammonia in it.

fishgirl1
09/13/2006, 02:55 PM
It is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. I know.... not very good but it's all I have.

boxfishpooalot
09/13/2006, 02:58 PM
in all the ammonia test kits I have, they always show visable color. But none of my fish are dead! I think they would be if they had .25ppm of ammonia.

I think the kits are prone to inaccuracy because of their high range.

But, I agree with Boomer too. Its a new tank?

fishgirl1
09/13/2006, 03:05 PM
It has been up for a little over 2 months with LR and LS. I have had 3 damsels for about 5 weeks, 2 peppermint shrimp for about a month, 1 tomato clown for about 2 weeks, and a tree coral (maybe kenya tree??) for about a month. All seem to be doing just fine! This is the very first I have seen of ammonia since starting the tank! I hope it's not starting to cycle just now for some reason..........

boxfishpooalot
09/13/2006, 03:11 PM
Hmmm.

You have how many fish?

Are you saying that fish come and go? Because if your tank is empty then full of fish one day it could be ammonia.Because bacteria population reduce. Then add fish they have to get back up.

It would not surprise me if those fish can live through ammonia like that(because they are tough fish!)

What fish in there now?

fishgirl1
09/13/2006, 03:17 PM
I have had the same fish the whole time. I have just added them slowly. The only thing I have lost so far is a little turbo snail about 4 weeks ago because he fell off a rock and landed upside down in the back. My total stock is the tomato clown, 3 damsels, 2 peppermint shrimp, the coral, about 7 hermit crabs, a big Mexican snail, and about 8 turbo snails. Oh, I also have 2 peanut worms, 2 bristle worms, and a small starfish that I've only seen twice all of which came with my LR.

boxfishpooalot
09/13/2006, 03:22 PM
Well if the ammonia was that high the shrimp would be dead for sure.

I think its a false reading.Nothing to worry about IMO. You need a low resolution ammonia kit.

High resolution is pretty much useless after the cycle ended.

worlds under
09/13/2006, 03:25 PM
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals amonia test's give me the same reading 3 out of 8 times. It freaked me out the first time. If all your "LIVE ROCK"
was fully cured, and your sand bed was only 3 to 4 inches, I would'nt worry about it. Try to read it under a white light. it might help.

fishgirl1
09/13/2006, 03:54 PM
Well, my sand is only about 3 inches (or a little less) and everything seems to be fine otherwise. I do know, however, that I will be upgrading some of my test kits, at least the ammonia kit. This has made me very unhappy....

Thanks for all the replies!

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/13/2006, 07:25 PM
I normally wouldn't even bother to measure ammonia in an established tank, and wouldn't worry about this except to make sure that you are not topping off with water that contains chloramine.

REEF-DADDY
09/13/2006, 07:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8138535#post8138535 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishgirl1
It is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. I know.... not very good but it's all I have.

LOL Thats the lowest I've seen with this test kit despite having a 2 year old tank with only 5 ppm No3. Throw the kit in the trash!