PDA

View Full Version : $10 ShopVac mod: carbon-wrapped air filter

ejmeier
09/13/2006, 07:18 PM
Here's my idea: make a cheap yet effective air filter to pull out that horrible stench that plastics/solvents leave behind when doing DIY work.

Respirators help a lot, but afterwards your whole basement smells. There are air-cleaners out there that can be outfitted with carbon filters, but these cost several hundreds of dollars, and just the replacement filters alone are $40 or more.

Basically, I just hooked up a few carbon-wrapped water filters to the output of my shop vac. Here's the layout, the plumbing parts are all PVC, and are meant to fit vacs that use 2 1/2" hose, not the 1 1/4" ones.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/23334ShopVac1.jpg

On the far left is a 2" ABS male adapter. I was originally going to glue this into the vac, but decided to just taper the sides and push it in and have it hold with friction. That way I can still use the original ouput with a regular shop-vac hose and use it as a blower someday if needed.

I had to grind the piece that fits into the vac down with a dremel, to a slightly tapered fit. From there, it just connects to a 2" PVC wye, and the carbon filters are plugged into each of the holes in the wye. (I also had to sand down about 1/16" on the inside of the fitting to fit the filters into the wye.) All of this is just push-fit, nothing is glued, though I'm sure you could if you wanted it to be more permanent.

Here's a link to the carbon-wrapped RO filters to give you an idea of what I used. I bought them locally, and they were under $8 for the pair. Omni 2-pack (http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-293-water-filters-whole-house/omnifilter-household-carbon-wrapped-filter-604279.aspx)

After that, all I had to do is plug up the holes on the ends of the carbon filters. Because these filters are meant for water, they have holes in both ends, and I had to cover up the one on the back. This way the air is forced in one end, and out the sides through the carbon. I used short 2" long lengths of 1" wooden dowels. I'm sure you could use a cork stopper or something, but I didn't have any on hand. I just wrapped a few wraps of black electrical tape around the dowels to build up the thickness and help seal the filter.

Here's a shot of everything together, and you can see how the plugs are fitted into the back of the vac:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/23334ShopVac2.jpg

Just plug the vac's inlet into your table saw and you're good to go. :cool: Or you could use it to sort of "vaccum" up bad air when solvent-welding pipes, etc.

All in all, I think it turned out okay. I was concerned about the backpressure the filters might create, but it still had pretty good suction after I had fitted the filters on. Next time, I may opt to go with a double wye and use 3 of the filters.
http://www.plastictrends.com/images/productgroup/P38.jpg
The price would then skyrocket to an astronomical $12 for the filters, plus another $2-3 for the PVC. :D

PrivateJoker64
09/14/2006, 07:33 PM
Good idea! How well does it work?

ejmeier
09/15/2006, 01:20 PM
So far, it seems to be working like a charm. I used it on my table saw when I was sawing some acrylic, and there was hardly any smell. Still noticeable, but not overpowering if you go away and come back to the area.

I also ran the hose next to the dremel, and had to sand/ream out a piece of acrylic, and there was virtually no detectable scent at all.

Now I just have to make an adapter for my miter saw and I'll be all set. :)

xtrstangx
09/15/2006, 02:56 PM
You must be doing a lot of gluing.

The only smell I have a problem with is silicone.. That stuff is nasty.

ejmeier
09/15/2006, 02:59 PM
:lol: That's so funny because thats about the only thing that I DON'T have a problem with. :)

Silicone I can bear, and it seems to disperse a lot quicker than other stuff. Its just that whenever I saw into plastics, I tend to get a headache, or else I feel weak/hungry all of the sudden. Kinda weird.

rcmike
09/15/2006, 05:33 PM
What really gets me is cutting anything with those cheap Dremel cut off wheels. Not the fiberglass reinforced ones, the brown ones that break really easily. I can cut a tiny bolt and the smell lasts for hours.