PDA

View Full Version : clowns hosting in things other than anemones

cbashaw
09/14/2006, 06:06 AM
Does anyone have any pics of their clown(s) hosting in corals other than anemones?

I got this shot last night.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c172/cwbashaw/Tank%20Sep%2006/ClownFrogspawn.gif

I have a Green BTA but the clowns seem to prefer the Frogspawn.

dc
09/14/2006, 07:01 AM
Unfortunately mine manages to kill about everything she tries to host in. Hairy mushrooms seem to be invincible tho.

http://images4.fotki.com/v41/photos/2/28482/235116/11clowncoral2-vi.jpg

Gary Majchrzak
09/14/2006, 07:57 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/IMG_0111keeper.jpg

cbashaw
09/14/2006, 08:11 AM
Nice pics

I'm hoping my clowns don't kill my frogspawn. They just stareted hosting in it a few days ago.

Gary,

How has your hammer held up to them hosting in it and how long have they been in it?

Raibaru
09/14/2006, 09:01 AM
Forgive me, but I'm a complete newb to all of this and still looking around. But I was under the impression that corals retracted most of their fleshy parts at night? Is this not the case?

ycrazyy
09/14/2006, 09:30 AM
My clown hosts in my trachyphyllia at night. It's actually very funny to watch actually, because he is about the same size as the brain and tries to lay down flat in it. I will try and snap a pic tonight.

Gary Majchrzak
09/14/2006, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8143810#post8143810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Raibaru
Forgive me, but I'm a complete newb to all of this and still looking around. But I was under the impression that corals retracted most of their fleshy parts at night? Is this not the case?
A lot of corals close up at night. Others open up at night.
Clownfish will adopt whatever host they choose. In captivity they've been known to host in flowerpots, clams and plastic decorations (among other things).
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8143524#post8143524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbashaw
Gary,How has your hammer held up to them hosting in it and how long have they been in it?
The Hammer is fine. The fish moved in it a few weeks ago but the coral has never shown any negative reaction. It's a good match.
More pics! :)

Raibaru
09/14/2006, 10:30 AM
Me again, not trying to sidetrack the thread just always been told better to ask questions in related threads if at all possible. If this is improper just let me know...

But anyway, if a Clown hosts a coral and the coral does show signs of stress how do you get clowns to stop hosting? People I talk to say they glue their corals down which I'd imagine makes it difficult to just move a Coral somewhere else and hope the clowns dont follow?

Gary Majchrzak
09/14/2006, 10:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8144353#post8144353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Raibaru
Me again, not trying to sidetrack the thread just always been told better to ask questions in related threads if at all possible. If this is improper just let me know...

But anyway, if a Clown hosts a coral and the coral does show signs of stress how do you get clowns to stop hosting? People I talk to say they glue their corals down which I'd imagine makes it difficult to just move a Coral somewhere else and hope the clowns dont follow?
It's usually fairly easy to remove Clownfish and/or (glued down) corals.
If you can't move/remove the (stressed) coral you'll need to remove the fish. It's very likely the fish will follow a coral around the aquarium no matter where you relocate it. Some folks use plastic mesh baskets to protect sessile inverts from certain fishes.
Another option is to introduce a preferred host (ie: host anemone).