PDA

View Full Version : galaxea problem

DMBillies
09/14/2006, 08:21 AM
I bought a galxea coral about 2 weeks ago and one side of it is starting to die off. I can't get a real good look at it without moving the coral, but I'd guess that about 10-15 polyps have lost their tissue. Looks like about 3 more are going to pieces since yesterday. I don't know exactly when it started because the spot that it started was toward the back of the tank (same reason I can't get a decent picture). Everything else in the tank looks fine and my parameters are all in check (I didn't write them down last night, so I'd have to re-measure if you want specifics). My best guess is that it got a little damaged bringing it home and is just showing it's displeasure, but I'm worried that it isn't going to stop. Are there any particular pests I should be on the look-out for? Any ideas about what's causing it?

I've thought about fragging off the bad part, but I'm worried that I'll cause more damage because I've never fragged anything like a galaxea. Anyone have instructions on doing it or a link to a place that describes it?

rsteagall
09/14/2006, 09:45 AM
Is this the big one that EB had one on Labor Day?

DMBillies
09/14/2006, 11:26 AM
Nope...

greystreet41
09/14/2006, 04:44 PM
needs good flow...I had one die off due to really poor flow best I could tell.

DMBillies
09/14/2006, 11:35 PM
I thought it was in a decent flow area, but I'll give it a little more and see if it like it better.

KAiNE
09/15/2006, 07:25 AM
I have a good size one. Too much flow and he throws out 12" sweepers. I keep him in a low to moderate flow area.

According to Eric Borneman's book they are delicate and dont do well in captivity but I know too many people that have them long term for that to be totally true. He also states that losing polyps should spread through the whole colony.

I'll reread that in the book tonight and try and post more info.

KAiNE
09/15/2006, 07:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8150587#post8150587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KAiNE
I have a good size one. Too much flow and he throws out 12" sweepers. I keep him in a low to moderate flow area and he still has some sweepers out but much shorter.

According to Eric Borneman's book they are delicate and dont do well in captivity but I know too many people that have them long term for that to be totally true. He also states that losing polyps should spread through the whole colony.

I'll reread that in the book tonight and try and post more info.

KAiNE
09/15/2006, 07:27 AM
oops.....

sparks56
09/16/2006, 10:54 AM
mine likes a lot o flow!!!

DMBillies
09/18/2006, 09:23 AM
Well, after moving it to a higher flow area I went away for the weekend. I can't see any more recession since I left, so I'm thinking that either the flow helped or (if it didn't) it just started doing better on it's own. It's to early to say that I'm in the clear, but it seems to be doing much better.

Thanks for the input.