PDA

View Full Version : Some more ID help

daveverdo
09/14/2006, 10:51 AM
Picture 1. Is the green thing in the first picture some type of Porite, it is growing on some cured live rock that is in the tank for about two weeks. If note a Porite, any ideas? If it is a Porite, what kind is it, and does it have any special needs.

Picture 2. Also on some cured live rock in the tank for only a day. They look like some type of feather duster stems to me. They are arounf 2-3mm in diameter and close up when the lights are off.

Thanks,
Dave

http://eglab.org/fishtank/liverock.jpg

Travis L. Stevens
09/14/2006, 10:59 AM
1) It could be many things right now. It's too "young" to tell. Pocillipora, Stylophora, Montipora, Acropora, or Porites. Most likely it's Porites, but that's as close as I could get. FWIW, it's definitely a desired coral, so you won't need to worry about it growing up and eating your fish ;)

2) These looks like they are damaged Zoanthidae. Since they are on curing rock, they won't look typical. But, they could be anything from Zoanthid to Protopalythoa to Palythoa to even Isaurus. Most likely they are just Zoanthids.

It seems like you scored some nice rocks if these hitchhiked their way into your tank.

BurntOutReefer
09/14/2006, 11:01 AM
second pic looks like polyps
first pic cant remember name...am looking up...maybe someone else will have answer before I come back....

daveverdo
09/14/2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks Travis,

Right now I only have a small old NO fourescent light. I have all the parts for a HO T5 fixture. Haven't had time to make the hood yet. Will these things survive for 2-3 weeks with just a small NO light or should I move up the HO T5 hood on the priority list?

Thanks again,
Dave

Travis L. Stevens
09/14/2006, 11:08 AM
If the first picture is Porites, than I would move the Lights as a higher priority. They often need very bright lighting. The Zoanthidae will survive fine that long under NO lighting.