PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 180Gal

kjord97
09/14/2006, 12:25 PM
I will be setting up a 180gal 601/2 x 241/2 x 29 reef tank soon, right now i am making my wish list. I would like to ask a few questions though, to really help me on placement of the tank in the house and getting items for it.

Is it possiable to run a 180 reef with everything in the stand?

If anything i may run some plumbing into my crawl space under the house to set up a automatic top off.

What kind of floor support should i add? The tank is going to be placed against the center wall of my house, there is a 3 ft crawl space under the house. I chose this spot beacause there is a 8 inch thick steel h beam that runs the length of my house. the tank would sit about 5 inches away from it, but not on top of it. I also have engineered floor joist 16 inches on center. Also have 50 year warrenty advantec 3/4'' flooring with 1/4'' subfloor. I am personally building the house right now, i move in november 1st.

How much do you think a 180 gal, 3 inch sand bed, and 200lbs live rock weigh?

Do i need a metal frame, or would a wood frame be good enough? ( i am custom making a stand, and would perfer wood)

dtm
09/14/2006, 04:10 PM
some told me a 180 should weigh right around 2k lbs

kjord97
09/15/2006, 05:54 AM
cool that is kinda what i figured,

I am still looking for ideas to set up everything under the tank.

kjord97
09/15/2006, 06:57 AM
I was also thinking since the tank is up against the wall of my master bedroom, and whole tank sitting in my dinning room, i may cut a whole in the bedroom wall to view the tank. You would be able to view the tank from both the dinning room and master bedroom. I would put nice swinging doors on the bedroom side, to block out people looking through at times when we dont want them to.