PDA

View Full Version : Dead live rock lol

rinklskn
09/14/2006, 04:27 PM
my friend bought live rock and then never used it. its been sitting in a box for 3 months. i assume its dead. now could I use that dead live rock and cure it? I already have like 45 pounds of fiji rock that I just got today from foster and smith. I am in the middle of cureing it. so can I bring the dead back to life or what? lol

also I have snails all over my reef tank from the crushed coral. are they harmfull to my reef(when I set it up)? how can I exterminate them?

Paintbug
09/14/2006, 04:37 PM
i would scrub it real good in some saltwater. get off the dead stuff off of it you can, then boil it if possible. you have base rock basicly after that. once you get in the tank in a few months it will be full of life.

wakesetter
09/14/2006, 04:41 PM
skip the boiling....just scrub, rinse, and let it cure with the other rock. by the time its done you probably won't know which pieces are which

SCR
09/14/2006, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8146908#post8146908 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wakesetter
skip the boiling....just scrub, rinse, and let it cure with the other rock. by the time its done you probably won't know which pieces are which
"ditto"

TekCat
09/14/2006, 04:48 PM
I'd do what wakesetter says, but after it is cured I'd cook it. This perfect opportunity to polish your rock cooking skills :)

whalloper
09/14/2006, 10:31 PM
totally use it. Especially if youre already curing live rock now. I wouldnt boil it, just scrub, rinse and youre good. When I first set up my tank, my first 50 pounds came smelling like rotten fish and I just plunked it in the water...def got my cycling started!

drummereef
09/14/2006, 10:43 PM
You're good with the rock. Follow the above posts suggestions. The snails are fine - and most likely beneficial. I would keep them.

affan
09/14/2006, 10:45 PM
That rock is dead coral skeletons. Of nothing beneficial in particular.

beetle-b
09/14/2006, 10:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8149523#post8149523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affan
That rock is dead coral skeletons. Of nothing beneficial in particular.

Huh, How did you come to that conclusion?

affan
09/14/2006, 10:56 PM
See his other thread, please.

beetle-b
09/14/2006, 11:06 PM
I don't know if I would say "nothing beneficial", some if it looks like it could have been live rock at one time. Could use it as base rock, and as stated in the previous threads, as his other rock cures it will spread the beneficial bacteria to the dead corals and other rock. I have even heard, although I wouldn't do it, of people placing porous conrete in their tank with other live rock, and over time the concrete hosts the beneficial bacteria. Eventually almost anything could have corraline algae grow on it, in the right conditions, providing nutrient export and filtration.