PDA

View Full Version : Sandbed Issues

xbambamx
09/14/2006, 06:51 PM
I decided to go with a crushed coral sandbed when i first started up.

i think I wanna get rid of this because it tends to become unnattractive. I wanna use this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=927174

Anybody know the quickest way to change it all out, without having to restart my cycle all over, I only have 4 rocks in so far, so moving the rocks out wont be an issue.. Will hermit crabs, and stars still use this sand, or cukes? Since it isnt natural..

xbambamx
09/14/2006, 07:13 PM
bump

navajo
09/14/2006, 07:36 PM
If you want to replace the substrate, I'd do about 1/4 or so of the tank at a time with week or so between changes. What this will do is keep you from having a minicycle due to bacteria removal and also allow any sandbed critters a chance to migrate to your new sand from you old substrate.

HTH

xbambamx
09/14/2006, 08:06 PM
Well the thing is, the sub. i have no is huge pieces of crushed coral, even shells.. all ranging from an inch to 4 inches.. I dont want that mixed in with my new sub.. should i take out all my inhabitants when i put the new sub in?

navajo
09/14/2006, 08:17 PM
Ahhh, I got you. BIG chunks...

Well, here is what I have done in the past. See what you think.

Take out the substrate you don't want and put some of it in filter socks (2 or 3). Then put in your sand and aquascape however you want it. Then just lay the socks full of old substrate in there. this will keep it in the water path so the bacteria can still do their job. The new sand will become "seeded" pretty quickly so what I do is pull 1 sock a week until they are all out. This SHOULD keep you from going into a mini cycle.

Then if your sandbed doesn't have enough critters for you, you can buy sand activator packs from many online vendors.

navajo
09/14/2006, 08:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8148327#post8148327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xbambamx
Well the thing is, the sub. i have no is huge pieces of crushed coral, even shells.. all ranging from an inch to 4 inches.. I dont want that mixed in with my new sub.. should i take out all my inhabitants when i put the new sub in?

Forgot to address your second question. Sorry!

I would definately pull the inhabitants out of there when you are doing this. When you add the new sand (especially if it is the VERY fine sand you're talking about, it will create one heck of a sandstorm. I KNOW fish and corals have the ability to deal with sandstorms, but it is just a whole lot easier to aquascape without worrying about crushing inhabitants.

i just did this a couple weeks ago. Wanted a LOT more rock in the tank and more sand, so I pulled "everybody" out to holding vessles during the change, then put them back when I was done.

xbambamx
09/14/2006, 08:32 PM
I have 10 blue leg hermits, a watchman goby, a damsel, a 4 inch cleaner shrimp, 3 t snails, an em crab.. a p shrimp and four mid size LR.. I have a small 10 gallon aquarium, i should i put all the mentioned stuff in there with water and a small filter running ? while the sand bed settles down and all? whats the best way of getting these huge chunks out?

xbambamx
09/14/2006, 08:35 PM
and also since its not LS, its made for sand blasting, no bacteria or anything, will bacteria still be able to live in it? Will i still be able to have sand sifting stars and other sand thriving creatures?

xbambamx
09/15/2006, 05:49 AM
bump

navajo
09/15/2006, 09:17 AM
Well, let's see... I would definately take all the critters out and put them in the 10 gal with filter while you're redoing the tank. Bus as soon as you get your tank to where you want it, I'd go ahead and throw them back in there. The will be able to deal with the sand storm and will help provide the bacteria with the needed ammonia to keep it going.

As far as the sandblasting stuff, yes it will colonize with bacteria. EVERYTHING wet in your tank will have bacteria on/in it. And the sand sifting stars etc should do fine in it also once it gets innoculated with pods, worms, and other micro/macro fauna.

Be sure to take pics and come back on here with your experiences! WE LOVE PICS!

Also, depending on how large the chunks are, I have always used a new plastic dustpan to scoop out old substrate. Works like a charm.

GOOD LUCK