PDA

View Full Version : Crab ID question

Lonnie
09/14/2006, 08:07 PM
After looking through numerous sites, I am unable to identify a crab I purchased for my tank. I should have written down its name at the time.

Unfortunately I do not have a digital camera either....

It has a large (approx 2" x 3") triangular to oval body, looking similar to a Dungeness crab. It is white with purple-maroon splotches similar to paint splatters.

It is shy & has not harmed any of my fish in the 6 month that I've had it. It likes silversides (approx 1/2 every other day) & also krill.

My other fish are all large (4" to 9") that include a lion, paddlefin wrasse, 2 tangs (powder blue & kole) & 2 groupers (panther & clown) with only small one being a 2" clown.

Does anyone know the proper name or how big it will get?

Thanks for any info that you can provide.
Lonnie

charlesr1958
09/14/2006, 11:41 PM
Unfortunately, that describes a whole lot of crabs..lol, I do though have some links within my hitch hikers page about crabs that you may not have seen yet. Hopefully.

Chuck's Hitch Hikers (http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchhikers.html)

dc
09/15/2006, 08:42 AM
You have an awesome site Charles. :D

Lonnie, most crabs are not a good thing. While by the list of fish you have they are probably safe, but your snails and any other invert you have may not be.

Lonnie
09/15/2006, 09:23 PM
None look similar to those on the site listed.

I worried about my snails as well, but it has never harmed one. They are 1" dia & up so possibly larger than its liking.

It stays away from my anemones as well.

To further describe.... it has no hair & the claws are smooth & not serrated. They are approx 1" claws which are small in comparison to its body which is as wide as my palm vs. size relationship to porcelin crabs.

I'll keep it as it is a nice attraction to my tank, but would like to find out more info so I can better care for it. I've never seen another for sale & have looked at 100's of sites with none similar.

I'll try to get a camera this weekend.

Any additional info is appreciated.
Lonnie

dc
09/16/2006, 08:54 AM
Hopefully you can id it and it's not a killer. I've read that iding them is almost impossible because they change colors, patterns while they are growing, and many are very similiar. Perhaps a picture will help put it in the ballpark tho.

Lonnie
12/12/2006, 10:41 PM
I got a picture finally. The quality is not great, but at least you can see it.

Thanks,
Lonnie

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/images/crab2.jpg

venwu225
12/13/2006, 11:39 PM
shame faced crab, predator of snails.

venwu225
12/13/2006, 11:39 PM
make great pets though.

Lonnie
12/14/2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info.....

That is amazing since he never hurt a snail in my tank.

He will not try to pinch when you hold him. I even cleaned the top of his shell with a scrub pad, & it still didn't. Maybe i got a lazy one?

Lonnie