PDA

View Full Version : Help with new system flow 450 gallons

JRR
09/14/2006, 09:13 PM
O.k. I'm finally ready to order my new tank which will be 108 x 31 x 31. The tank is going to have a starfire front panel. It will also have Eurobracing. I'm trying to get help with over flows and returns. I want to make sure I have enough. I know I'm in the right place for help!!!

I'm considering having 3 overflow boxes not in the corners along the back side of the tank. At this time I'm thinking of 2 - 2" holes in each box. I realize this would provide for more flow than I need however they can be turned down or made smaller if necessary. My question is how large should the boxes be? I want to use a Durso standpipe on these boxes.

My problem is how I should run my returns. The tank will be tight on the wall and will not have more than 2 maybe 3" behind it. The right side is exposed so I don't want returns on that side. The left side and the bottom or over the top work for my returns. Please share your thoughts as I need some help. I want to do this right the first time.

I'm considering running the returns with two dolphin ampmaster 4200's. These pumps are 2" ins and outs and will push 3600 gallons per hour at 6'. They use 1.5 amps.

One return pump will need to pump 750 gph / 2 = 375 gph per skimmer (Aquamedic 5000 turboflotors twins).

I will also need to consider my Aqua Ultraviolet UV 57 watt that will be on the return. It has 2" ins and outs so my flow will not be restricted.

I'm also going to require about 100 gph for my PO4 filter and Carbon filter. They will be run in tandem if possible.

Some of my Internal flow will be produced by 6 Top mounted power heads 1450 gph x 6 = 8700 gph.

The sump is about 250 gallons with a max capacity of 450 gallons.

The lighting will be done with 3 -13" suntubes and maybe some supplemental lighting. The suntubes are already mounted a produce mega light.

The tank will have a mix of corals and fish.

Thanks for your help!

dc
09/14/2006, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a project!:D I'm going to move this to the large tank forum, where you'll likely get more help.

[moved]

VikeBron
09/15/2006, 12:28 AM
Why not make one long overflow box that would not have to be so deep. You could run 2or3 sets of bulkheads pulling the water down. The teeth would skim the top along a larger portion of the tank and you would not have 3 large boxes sticking out at you.