PDA

View Full Version : 110W VHO's vs T5's--Help!

jjensen6823
09/14/2006, 09:14 PM
I've been running a 72G Bowfront reef on 4x110W 48" VHO's for 8 years. All my LPS and anemones have done great under those lights. In fact, I picked up a crocea clam. He wasn't happy at all on the bottom, where I placed him for a week or so to adjust, but after I moved him to about 9" below the surface, he has thrived and grown another layer of new shell all the way around. However, I upgraded from a 72G BF to a 150XH this week. 30" deep. I had a pretty strong feeling that the VHO's by themselves weren't really going to cut it on a tank that deep. I was planning to add two 250W MH's.

I was discussing the whole situation with the guy at Salty Critter today, and he suggested that I just replace the VHO's with T5's. He said my Icecap 660 will run either (granted it will be overdriving the T5's). He said that 4 48" T5's will produce a much greater light intensity that my VHO's, even though the VHO's are rated for 110W. Is that true? Do 54W T5's overdriven to 80W produce more light intensity that 110W VHO's? If so, I think I will make the switch before I decide what MH, if any, to add. (I know there is someone out there who is going to flame me for not using nearly enough light on my tanks, old and new, because I'm not running 4x1000W MH or some such silliness. All I can say is that the VHO's worked for me on the 72G)

Thanks in advance,

Jim Jensen

The Grim Reefer
09/14/2006, 10:19 PM
On a 30" tall tank the 4 T5's overdriven will be OK but I think I would add at least 2 more lamps. I would use Ice Caps reflectors on all the lamps as well. With even 4 T5's ODed you will have close to as much intensity at the bottom of the 150 as you do now, those reflectors make a big difference.

beetle-b
09/14/2006, 10:47 PM
I recently was wondering the same question, and did some research and decided to go with the 48" 54W T5s on my 75g, and love it. To me it seems that T5 is the so called "future" of marine lighting, meaning bulbs might be easier to attain throughout the next few years compared to VHO. And from what I found in doing some searching, is the intensity is fairly comparable...but overall just look at how much less you will be spending on your utility bill! My tank is very bright with 4, 54 watt bulbs. I think you will be happy if you go that route.