PDA

View Full Version : Now that gas 9s cheaper? Free Shipping?

ronhjr
09/15/2006, 08:36 AM
Now, that gas prices are dropping, will we see free shipping again on lIvestock orders over $225.00. Iwas going to place an order today, for Saturday delivery and it would of been over $50.00 to get it done.

Bebo77
09/15/2006, 08:46 AM
lol but the delivery companies ie fedex/ UPS have not lowered their rates...

dfs/la2
09/15/2006, 09:15 AM
Ronhjr,

Thank you for your post. With regards to your question we are constantly monitoring shipping costs. The free shipping offer on orders over $225.00 was a promotion that we have offered in the past and possibly will offer again in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at TechSupport@drsfostersmith.com and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.

Sincerely,
Stacie R.

Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

drives300
09/16/2006, 12:02 AM
Also I just placed an order with them and their shipping topped out at like 15.00 on 200 dollars spent. thats not too bad. I ordered 4 bags sand and a 200 gallon pail of oceanic salt and my shipping was less than that. If youy go to ups you cant ship much for 15 dollars so their shipping is still extrememly reasonable. wERE JUST USED TO BEING SPOILED I GUESS...

vijaym85
09/17/2006, 03:04 PM
I miss the free shipping as well.
I like to place 300+ dollar orders but the shipping makes it not very cost effective to me in the end.
How about if you spend X amount of money you get a free fish or store credit, or say a percentage off on your current order, like 5% for so a _ order or 10% off for a _ order and make it incremental.
That would at least help defray the higher shpping cost until you can bring the free shiping back.
Just a thought

tonyh67
09/27/2006, 04:01 PM
...I two am very disappointed the free shipping offer has ended. I placed 3 orders over the past year utilizing. I would probably give in when it was $28, but the $35-$40 I cannot justify. I can drive a long way to a quality store for that.

The Drs' dry good shipping is a pretty good deal, all affiliates have an excellent track record with me. I cease to be amazed by the overall outstanding customer service and quality of marine life.

RandyK37922
10/16/2006, 01:10 AM
I still think that F&S shipping is a bargain. I own an unrelated eBay business, and shipping costs are just hard to hold down. Unless you are a massive company you really do not have a lot of leverage with the shippers. Anyway even with significant shipping charges on live rock, I came out better with F&S than at my LFS, and the rock is just terrific.

vijaym85
10/16/2006, 11:25 PM
I am stuck going back to the LFS until the shipping promo is back. Just got a PBT and some corals. When freen shipping is back i am definately going to be buying again. The most I would feel happy spending on shipping is $20
My LFS is pretty cheap so the competitive edge is really lost at this current shipping price, unfortunately. But I do understand their need to do it and I would definately reccomend this store to anyone. Definately my favorite online vendor by far.

SPStoner
10/17/2006, 07:39 AM
The guaratee still seals the deal for me. I don't have a LFS that guarantees anything marine for more than 3 days! The 14 days ( sometimes 30) from DFS gives me a lot more comfort level with my purchases.

vijaym85
10/17/2006, 07:06 PM
good pt, great gaurntee and customer service too!

disney95
10/22/2006, 06:59 AM
if you order over $200 worth of live stock shipping is worth it most times LFS mark up there stuff so much . I am sure 200 will be over 300 in a LFS. the only thing negative you do not get to see what you are buying unless you are in the divers den. I bought a mystery wrasser when it was on sale for 120 and it was over 300 in my LFS purple tang $54 LA $89-129LFS

GL
10/29/2006, 10:17 PM
If you take into consideration Tax and the gas you pay to drive to the LFS you might find the shipping is not that bad.

An example for me on a 300.00 order would be:

300.00 X .06 tax 18.00
120 mile round trip to the LFS. 20 mpg @ 2.20 p/g. = 13.20

31.20 to drive to the LFS and make a purchase or 35.50 to have it delivered to the door.

Obviously is your LFS is close or you don't pay much state sales tax it is a mute point.

NCreefwannabe
11/02/2006, 07:21 PM
but, most people dont want to order $240+ in livestock at once. and spending say 20-50 on single fish or coral you want or need, cant justify the extra $30+ you have to spend on shipping.

Thats where driving is cheaper. I can drive 2 hours away, spend say 5-10$$ in gas, and get the fish for about the same price or cheaper.

GL
11/02/2006, 07:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8467938#post8467938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NCreefwannabe
but, most people dont want to order $240+ in livestock at once. and spending say 20-50 on single fish or coral you want or need, cant justify the extra $30+ you have to spend on shipping.

Thats where driving is cheaper. I can drive 2 hours away, spend say 5-10$$ in gas, and get the fish for about the same price or cheaper.

My post was based off the fact that the original offer was free shipping on orders over 225.00 just like the originator of the thread is asking to have returned as a promotion.

I have yet to see any online store offering free overnight shipping on 20-50 dollar orders.

dfs/la2
11/02/2006, 07:42 PM
NCreefwannabe

Thank you for your post. The cost of shipping and handling remains a concern to both you and us. We do understand that the charges may seem inappropriate at times, especially when ordering smaller specimens or quantities. However, orders, both small and large, require the same amount of people to process and ship the order. Some companies prefer to reflect these by charging higher product costs, separate box charges or by charging a percentage of the shipping and handling costs as a separate consideration. We have been able to hold our shipping costs in the past, however our shipping charges reflect the general carrier costs in shipping.

Pat S.

Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

RandyK37922
11/03/2006, 08:56 AM
Pat,

We understand! I think you guys have some great deals, even with shipping costs. When your prices often hang at near half of the LFS, the shipping is none too bad.