PDA

View Full Version : Wife wants a digital slr

ctrulock
09/15/2006, 10:51 PM
I have researched on the web and of all the slr cams that I think are good I can only afford the rebel or nikon d50. I am leaning to the Nikon b/c she has nikor lenses from film camera. Is the d50 any good?
PS To me the rebel felt too light and cheaply made, then d50 was more solid.

jwedehase
09/16/2006, 12:55 AM
Sounds like your decision is made! They're both extremely capable cameras, and probably extremely comparable. What you'll read time and time again is that the decision maker is personal preference, when it comes to these two cameras. Most will recommend you try them in your hands to see how they feel. You've already answered that. In addition, it sounds like you have lenses that will already work with the new camera.

I'm a Canon guy personally. I actually prefer the feel and ergonomics of the Canon, but they'll both do a great job for you.

steve68
09/16/2006, 03:24 AM
i agree both are good cameras but if u have lenses that will work with the nikon i would go with the nikon, if u had lenses that worked with the canon i would go with the canon.

chanhowg
09/16/2006, 08:50 AM
I agree it really come down to what feels best in you hands. I personally like Nikon because of its weight which is a negative for some photographers. Regarding the nikon lenses you have be sure to check the compatibility of the lens with the D50. I have a D70 and really like it. Nikon has just brought out the D80 but that is more expensive but less so than the D200.

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

chanhowg
09/16/2006, 08:54 AM
This is a great site for photography information and exchange of ideas.

http://www.dpreview.com/

HotHotHot
09/16/2006, 12:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8156535#post8156535 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ctrulock
PS To me the rebel felt too light and cheaply made, then d50 was more solid.

Same here, also a little small for my hands. I went with the D50.

Ed

BlueCorn
09/16/2006, 12:44 PM
The battery grip makes all the difference with the XT. In addition to feeling better in your hand you get twice the battery capacity. I can get ~1000 shots per battery charge.

Snausages01
09/16/2006, 10:54 PM
I'm happy with my D-50. However, with the lens options I think the D-70s would be a better buy. THe D-70 kit lens blows the D-50 kit out of the water, and unless you can get a deal on the D-70 kit lens used I'd buy the D-70s with the kit lens new.

My two favorite fish pictures shot withe D-50 and D-70 kit lens (18-70:f3.5-45)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Blue-Tang-9-5-062.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/Snausages01/Starry-Blenny2.jpg

CrystalAZ
09/17/2006, 01:43 AM
That new Rebel XTi would easily be my choice. Many features only found on higher end cameras, plus 10 megapixels.

Review (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082416canoneos400drebelxti.asp)

Crystal

water`bug
09/17/2006, 06:08 AM
We were between the Nikon and the Canon Rebel XT, as well... I really liked the lightweight feel, so, we purchased the Rebel XT... and extremely happy with our purchase.

If you already have lenses that will work with the Nikon, go for it. :)

captbunzo
09/18/2006, 03:26 PM
You've got a lot of interesting and fantastic input here. Let me add my opinionated opinion. :)

jwedehase.... had it right in the first place. Both the D50 and Rebel XT are extremely capable cameras. In reviews, surveys, etc, you will find small reasons that one or the other is a better choice. However, nothing is more significant then your existing investment in Nikkor lenses. Easy choice, IMHO.

beerguy.... comments about battery life with his Rebel. I think he has the impression that the D50s battery performs badly. Well, perhaps other have that problem. However, with one charged battery for my D50, I can get about 3 cards worth at Medium Resolution / Normal JPEG Quality. That's about 350-375 per card (512 MB).... Or about 1050-1125 total. In short, I would say that it sounds like the cameras have similar battery capabilities, without having any technical specs in front of me.

Snausages01.... is right that a D70s IS a better choice. However, the D50 is still a GREAT choice as well. So it really just depends between the 2 how much money you want to or can spend. If you got it for the D70s, go for it. Otherwise, go with the D50. I doubt you will be disappointed and may not ever notice the difference.

HOWEVER, if your wife already has some Nikkor lenses, that leads me to believe that she might have some actual photographic skill / knowledge. In that case, show her a review of the D50 and D70s from the same site. If she notices any techy things on the D70s that she just can't live without, then, er, you better come up with some more money. :D

And, in conclusion, I LOVE my Nikon D50. Of course, I have no reason to say it is better then any other DSLR out there. I just love it for how it doesn't suck like my old Point & Shoot Digital Camera. My WIFE even comments on how much she likes it because it doesn't lag to take pictures... And she was the one who commented in the first place that it was too heavy and bulky.

:) ;) :D

BlueCorn
09/18/2006, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8172354#post8172354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
[beerguy.... comments about battery life with his Rebel. I think he has the impression that the D50s battery performs badly. [/B]

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. ;)

The poster commented that the Rebel seemed small in his hands. I commented that adding the battery grip solves that problem and gives you twice the original battery capacity. I have no idea what the battery performance on the D50 is as I wouldn't own one. ;)

captbunzo
09/18/2006, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8172385#post8172385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. ;)

The poster commented that the Rebel seemed small in his hands. I commented that adding the battery grip solves that problem and gives you twice the original battery capacity. I have no idea what the battery performance on the D50 is as I wouldn't own one. ;)
I apologize, Beerguy - I obviously didn't read carefully enough. I am very wrong there. Upon reading more carefully, I see that what you are pointing out is actually a nice desing innovation by Canon.

Cool stuff!

Ebn
09/18/2006, 04:11 PM
Get the battery grip for the D50 if you're worried about the size. As for battery performance, the D50 with a single battery is more than plenty and if you need more juice (hard to believe unless you shoot more than 700 pictures with flash at one sitting) just pop another battery in.

As for which of the two, I'd say go out and handle both of them. If you have a CF card with you, bring it along and shoot both of them in the shop (most reputable places will let you do this). See how they feel in your hands and then go home and take a look at the pictures.

As for the D50 vs. D70s, for the price difference, I'd say D70s. It's a tad more, but if you plan on using an external flash (either the SB-600 or the SB-800), the commander mode is worth the difference in price.

Snausages01
09/18/2006, 07:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8172354#post8172354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by captbunzo
Snausages01.... is right that a D70s IS a better choice. However, the D50 is still a GREAT choice as well. So it really just depends between the 2 how much money you want to or can spend. If you got it for the D70s, go for it. Otherwise, go with the D50. I doubt you will be disappointed and may not ever notice the difference.

I just say the D-70 over the D-50 just due to the lens. If you’re not worried about the lens, then I wouldn't worry too much unless you want the flash options. With the D-50 at $700 and the D-70 at $870, I'd definitely say the 18-70 alone is more than worth the $170 price upgrade (new it runs about $300), plus you get all the extras of the D-70s. There is a definite noticeable difference between the 18-55 and 18-70.

captbunzo
09/18/2006, 09:18 PM
I would agree with Snausages01 (Chris) on that. I would love to upgrade from the 18-55 that came with my D50, to the 18-70 that comes with the D70s.

jwedehase
09/18/2006, 10:55 PM
So buy the body without the lens, and get a good lens, as well.

I bought a Canon 20D, but didn't bother with the P.O.S. 18-55mm plastic-junk-n-shoot lens. Save $100 and buy the body of your choice, without the lens. You already have lenses, anyway.

scothew
09/19/2006, 07:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8174159#post8174159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snausages01
I just say the D-70 over the D-50 just due to the lens. If you’re not worried about the lens, then I wouldn't worry too much unless you want the flash options. With the D-50 at $700 and the D-70 at $870, I'd definitely say the 18-70 alone is more than worth the $170 price upgrade (new it runs about $300), plus you get all the extras of the D-70s. There is a definite noticeable difference between the 18-55 and 18-70.

I've shot my D50 with both the 18-55 kit lens and the 18-70 off a friends D70s. Even tried the exact same shots and honestly we cant really tell a difference. I acctually prefer shooting my 18-55 over the 18-70. Other than the obvious extra range you might get with the 18-70, and being able to manual focus without having to flip switches, I cant tell a difference for the extra price.

On the flip side, im looking at replacing my 18-55 with a 18-200 ;)

On the people that said there is a battery pack grip you can get for teh D50.. can you point me to it, i havent been able to find one and Nikon doesnt list it as an accessory on thier site for the D50.. they do for the D70 and up though.

captbunzo
09/19/2006, 07:21 AM
Ah - that 18-200 lens rocks...

Snausages01
09/19/2006, 03:07 PM
I’ve shot with both and own both lenses. I bought the D-50 with the 18-55 because it was only a $100 option and as you said figured I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between that lens and another. However, after obtaining the 18-70 and shooting with it I noticed quite a bit of difference between the two. Overall sharpness of the image was much better with the 18-70 especially when deal with close-ups.

I say the D-70 over the D-50 mainly because of the lens; the 18-70 is a good lens regardless of the fact that it’s a kit lens, and well worth the price of the upgrade IMO. However, as mentioned if you don’t plan on using either of the kit lenses then I wouldn’t put all that much thought into it, but you usually get a much better deal when buying the kit. So, even if you don’t use the 18-70 you could sell it off for more than the additional cost of the lens (>$170) I would think. Last I checked they were going for $320ish new and I would guess that you could probably get close to that if you sold a new one.

surfy
09/25/2006, 04:49 PM
The new Pentax K10D is looking pretty impressive. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/
It's just being released so there aren't many reviews as of yet, however, the older Pentax K100D is also a great camera worth considering.