PDA

View Full Version : Can different mushrooms touch each other?

nmprisons
09/16/2006, 03:26 PM
My girlfriend just bought three individual mushrooms to put in my tank. They are all different colors. Her chosen placement has two of them touching a bit on the same rock. Will they be able to grow that close to each other or will they fight?

thanks.

mr_miagi32
09/16/2006, 09:59 PM
Depends on species IME. Ive had some fluffy mushrooms wage war on your plain typical 'shrooms. On the other hand, my plain mushrooms have grown well in a mixed area, close together.

bkwudzjeep
09/16/2006, 10:06 PM
It also depends on how big they can get.....some will block the light from others if they get huge.

I have also found mushrooms to be pretty adaptable (some may detach and reattach somewhere else in the tank).

jjmg
09/16/2006, 10:16 PM
I've pretty much found that if they don't like where they are and who their neighbors are they will move. Usually thowing off babys as they go. I can't think of any place in my tank that they have gone to war with each other, which of course doesn't mean that they won't, just that they didn't. I'd keep an eye on them, but I feel you should be fine.

You might want to tell the girlfriend about this site so she can research ahead of time before buying.

nmprisons
09/19/2006, 08:50 PM
yeah, i know ... i was never planning on putting any mushrooms in the tank and so i had not read up on them.

after about 50 visits to the LFS with me, she go excited about something for the first time and I just couldn't say no.

keckles
09/20/2006, 11:06 AM
You have nothing to worry about. They will safely grow, reproduce, and spread amongst each other. :)