PDA

View Full Version : bristle worm trap

FroMan
09/16/2006, 06:48 PM
I noticed at the LFS they had a commercially available bristle worm trap. Do these things really work?

I've got a few big ones in my tank that I'd like to catch, but they are too quick to pull back in to the sand bed or the rock.

Drs fostersmith has some thing similar...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3960&Ntt=trap&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1 (Trap-Em)

usmcsgt
09/16/2006, 06:52 PM
Why would you want to rid the bristle worms, they are good to have IMO.

chrismunn
09/16/2006, 07:09 PM
av8b is the harrier jump jet right?

bristle worms arent so bad, its "fire" worms that are more concerning. but remember that a fire worm is a bristle worm, and a good look at the worms will be in order to distinguish between the two, as the look very similar.

usmcsgt
09/16/2006, 08:54 PM
Yes the Harrier was commonly called the jump jet it is now refewr to a VSTOL (Vertical Short Take Off and Landing) it a nightmare to work on.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8160839#post8160839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrismunn

bristle worms arent so bad, its "fire" worms that are more concerning. but remember that a fire worm is a bristle worm, and a good look at the worms will be in order to distinguish between the two, as the look very similar.

FroMan
09/17/2006, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8161427#post8161427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by usmcsgt
Yes the Harrier was commonly called the jump jet it is now refewr to a VSTOL (Vertical Short Take Off and Landing) it a nightmare to work on.

FWIW the version of the F-35 "Lightning 2" similar to the harrier is called STOVL - Short Take Off Vertical Landing.

FroMan
09/17/2006, 09:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8160839#post8160839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrismunn

The main reson that I asked is that I've noticed their population increasing as of late. Since they don't have any preditors in my tank, their population will go unchecked ans is only limited by the amount of food available.

wrott
09/17/2006, 09:52 AM
I must have 1000s in my 20g. They will keep themselves in check depending on available nutrients.

Sk8r
09/17/2006, 10:03 AM
I agree with wrott. The trap does best catching the little ones. The big ones tend to be pretty shy and won't leave their rocks if they can help it, even to reach food. But then, they're keeping the inside passages of that rock clean, and I wouldn't advise removing them. It's never been proven even the 3 footers actually do any harm, except they mostly grow in pipes, and I'm sure they impede water flow. ;) I have 4 10-inchers, and I just name them and let them carry on.