PDA

View Full Version : new additions

coreno16
09/17/2006, 02:49 PM
hey everyone. Just picked up my first pair of clowns. Just wanted to share a few shots.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/coreno16/IMG_0764.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/coreno16/IMG_0766.jpg

Full tank shot (bad i know)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/coreno16/IMG_0676.jpg

criccio
09/17/2006, 03:06 PM
Very, very nice percs. Exactly how I like them.

ricordiaking
09/17/2006, 03:27 PM
QT them before you add them to your tank, this will save you a lot of head ache in the future.
Nice pair though.

rkelman
09/17/2006, 03:36 PM
Very nice fish :)

dc
09/17/2006, 03:43 PM
Cute fish. :D

Bones18
09/17/2006, 04:16 PM
Awesome!

coreno16
09/17/2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys! A few questions. They did not come in as a pair. The lfs employee (one of the few knowledgeable guys at an lfs in my area) told me that he paired them together when they came in. Said they had the inital squabble for dominance, but after that they've been doing fine. They seem to be alright in my tank, however, every now and then one will harass the other one a tiny bit. Not a fight just a nip. I do however see them showing submission to one another once and a while (kind of turn on their side and jitter a bit). Do you think this is just the typical dominance deal and they will eventually pair up?
They are very active thus far and look to be in good shape. What kinds of diseases are they prone to? Anything else i should look out for? Thanks for the kind words.

- Cory

coreno16
09/22/2006, 01:47 PM
I'm bumping this because i have a new problem. This morning before i left for class, the larger clown was really harassing the smaller. Now i came home and found my smaller clown cowering behind some rock and it will not come out. Damage appears to be minor but noticable, and it looks pretty stressed. Is this normal pairing or do i have 2 females? I'm going to try to get the larger clown in a breeder cup before i leave for work and if this isn't normal pairing then i'll see what i can do about returning her to the lfs tomorrow. Hopefully i can exchange her for a smaller male. Please tell me what i should do.

Thanks,
Cory

coreno16
09/22/2006, 09:21 PM
The pair bond is a developing thing. It starts out as a general acceptance of each other. Then slowly develops into a closer relationship were both fish are together most of the time. There is a bickering phase too where the female will make sure the male knows who is the boss. During this time it is not uncommon to find the poor little dejected male cowering near their normal host/territory.

This kind of sounds like whats happening. But would it be so extreame to the point where the other clown won't come out? I'd really appreciate some advice/thoughts before i take this clown back to the lfs.

- Cory

criccio
09/23/2006, 08:12 AM
I would wait. If there is no major physical damage being done, give it some more time.

coreno16
09/23/2006, 09:32 PM
Well, I let it go for today. Needless to say there is now quite a bit of physical damage. All of the smaller fishes fins are torn up at the end of today. The wild thing is that i've never seen them lock mouths. The smaller fish is trying to show submission to her, but she just won't have it. She is pretty much relentless (sounds like real life eh :p) I really can't deal with this much longer. I mean, it appears that they aren't both female if the smaller one is trying to show submission and won't fight back doesn't it? I really am lost on what to do.

Thanks for the help,
Cory

dantodd
09/23/2006, 09:38 PM
As long as the damage is limited to the fins I woulsn't sweat it. If the smaller clown starts gaping for water at the surface or it is lying on the sand bed then it is possible that she simply won't accept him.

BTW: I grew up in Brighton. But that was over 20 years ago when it was only 4,000 or so people.

coreno16
09/23/2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the help. He keeps trying to come out from his hiding place among the rocks, but everytime he gets out, the (insert profanity here) comes jetting over. Also, he's still eating alot so thats a good sign i suppose. Anyways, I'll keep a close eye on him tomorrow to be sure that he doesn't start gasping like you stated. Thank you for your help.

It's always fun to hear from michiganders whether current or not. That said, I can't wait to get out of here for a bit. But that will depend on what colleges accept me. :p So we'll see.

Thanks again,
Cory

dantodd
09/23/2006, 10:20 PM
As long as he's eating and she's only going after him when he leaves his "safe haven" Everything sounds excellent!