PDA

View Full Version : tank?

Laura Senchuk
09/18/2006, 09:52 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. My son got a snake and the guy he got it from also gave him a 300 gal tank that another snake used to be in. My son doesn't have room for this hugh tank. Could it be a saltwater tank after having a snake in it. Provided it is leak proof???

saltycreefer
09/18/2006, 10:01 AM
i dont know from experience but ive always been advised against it.

thor32766
09/18/2006, 10:17 AM
one way to test it, it to fill it somewhere outside and see if it holds.

thor32766
09/18/2006, 10:18 AM
resealing it is pretty easy. good luck with it.

SW1TCH
09/18/2006, 11:47 AM
Yes you can use the tank for fish as long as it holds water. just make shure you was the tank several times. I did this with my 75 it housed a snake for about 6 years.

bobafett
09/18/2006, 12:50 PM
Check the silicone to make sure it is not dried out or peeling. To play it safe I would go over the old silicone with a bead of fresh aquarium sealant and let it cure for at least a week before leak testing it. 300 gallons is alot of water if it should ever leak.

BTTRFLYGRL
09/18/2006, 01:13 PM
The tanks that are meant to hold reptiles are not as strong as aquariums for fish..I have never seen a reptile tank that big,[ outside of the zoo] is it possible it is meant for keeping fish? Is it glass or acrylic? How thick? I would contact the previous owner and get some info..
Not only will it have to hold water, but it will have to hold a lot of rock and sand...That is A LOT of weight!! You could contact your local Reefing club....see if there is anyone who could come look at it before you fill it and make sure its safe
Good luck....I wish someone would just give me a 300 gallon tank:(

SDguy
09/18/2006, 01:28 PM
Terrariums are NOT designed to hold water like aquariums. I would not risk it, especially at that size, without a professional opinion (perhaps the manufacturer). I too am surprised at an all glass retiple cage that large. Those sizes are usually glass/wood combos, so perhaps the tank is indeed a fish tank.

Laura Senchuk
09/18/2006, 03:43 PM
Yes it was made for fish, the guy who owned it had it in his wall with FW fish, then went to snakes. I was just wondering if snakes would ruin the tank for ever being used for fish again?

LionfishFinatic
09/19/2006, 03:22 PM
if there is any waste on the sides the ammonia from it would kill every fish in the tank even if you think you got all of it out there still might be some in the silicone. if i were you i would clean it VERY VERY well and then test it. it is a good thing you asked before you tried. good luck with it!!!