PDA

View Full Version : LR filtration Question

Vanquishxxxx
09/18/2006, 11:39 AM
I have a 55g with about 50 LBS of LR , by adding about 30 more pounds will that lower m my nitrates form the 10-20ppm they are now to around 0???

gobind
09/18/2006, 11:45 AM
Live rock alone cannot lower nitrates.
To make sure for the future you don't have nitrate issues buy you self a nitrate reactor. Not live rock.

JoeESSA
09/18/2006, 03:34 PM
I've read somewhere that there are areas of aneorobic activity under the surface of live rock resulting in some conversion of nitrate to nitrogen...Whether adding 30lbs more live rock will help with your nitrates or not I don't really know, but would be beneficial anyway. Ideal is 1.5 to 2lbs live rock per gallon.

PrivateJoker64
09/18/2006, 03:42 PM
Yes it will, eventually. You will have a spike in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels when you put it in. How big a spike depends on how much die-off you have getting the rock.

"Live rock alone cannot lower nitrates."
Sure it can. That's one of the main reasons we use it.

"I've read somewhere that there are areas of aneorobic activity under the surface of live rock resulting in some conversion of nitrate to nitrogen"
Of course there are. That's what makes it "live" rock. Again, that's why we have it in our tanks.

sir_dudeguy
09/18/2006, 03:53 PM
buy you self a nitrate reactor. Not live rock

why? he needs more live rock anyways. 50 lbs in a 55g is not enough to support a very heavy bioload. that added 30 lbs will make all the difference as far as bioload.

I'm with private joker tho...i think that it probably would help. how much tho, i do not know.

IMO, just get a small hob fuge or if you want a full sized one under the tank. And remove any bioballs and/or filtration media other than stuff like carbon and phosphate removers. All those ceramic noodle things like biomax and whatnot do the same as bioballs...build up nitrates.

but if you get a fuge, get some chaeto algae in there and run it on opposite lighting schedule as your tank lights. That will help not only with your nitrates, but with your algae if you have any (which is fed by nitrates by the way)