PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing

mrwizerd
09/18/2006, 01:22 PM
Hello all,

I am a very active member on CVReefers and only recently have been coming to Reef Central. I am trying to get every ones take on this subject and so I decided to post the same question here. I would like to do my plumbing for my aquarium out of Black ABS and Black Flexible PVC. I don't like the white. I have already decided that my overflows will be two durso style 1 1/2" abs overflows using a trap cap instead of a standard cap to allow for cleaning without major dismantling. This will connect to 1 1/2" bulkheads and then down to a couple elbows for the longer run to the sump in abs then the pair of over flows will empty into there own socks in the sump. The maximum flow of my Dolphin pump is 4700gph, I plan on using 2 inch pipe to go up to a Wye to 1 inch pipe on each side to allow for four return bulkheads with two nozzles on each bulkhead. The one inch pipe would most likely be flexible PVC.

Most of the plumbing on the closed loop I would also like to plumb in the same sort of manner. When I posed this question I was told that ABS will most likely leak in these conditions. I was curious if anyone had a second thought on that?

silverwolf72
09/18/2006, 02:19 PM
I don't know why it would leak even most low grade stuff is still 100psi and as long as it's glue properly I wouldn't see a prob. Of course I could be wrong.

jcck1
09/18/2006, 06:38 PM
I am not a plumber, and if possible I would research this a little more with some plumbers in your area . I have done a fair bit of plumbing in my time and the only area I would be concerned with is joining unlike materials. and take no chances with glueing, do it well. I think it would look very cool but check in your area if you can hope this helps

mrwizerd
09/18/2006, 06:54 PM
I have the weld on chart for the differnt glues to use for joining unlike materials. So hopefully we should be ok with that.