PDA

View Full Version : Acro growth question

jpmcca01
09/18/2006, 03:37 PM
I have a purple tipped acro that just doesnt want to grow vertically. It continues to grow out and now has fused two large rock pieces together. The colony it came from had alot of vertical growth with a min amount of base growth. BTW I have had this coral in 2 different tanks now and I cant seem to get it to grow additional branches upwards. Although it will start to grow a very small nubb, then it stops. I have 5 different nubbs about an 1/8" high. In the old tank it was high up in the water column and in the new tank it is down low. The only difference now is that it is getting more flow and has colored up better.(Wierd considering it doesnt get nearly as much light) Using 250w MH on both tanks that had the bulbs changed when I switched tanks. Alk is usually 9-10dkh with cal being in the 400 to 410 ppm. Nitrate and phos are undetectable.
Also the base is about 7in across in most spots.

I also have some montis that were also in the old tank and they grow upwards nicely.

Anyone know what causes this kind of growth?

PS: I have fragged one of the original branches and put it in a different location that has some intense water flow. Hoping this may cause it to grow differently.