PDA

View Full Version : Please help, odd shaped tank, closed loop.

Im14abeer
09/19/2006, 12:58 AM
Ok, so I'm preparing myself to drill my 230 gal trapezoidal acrylic for a closed loop. I've several questions. I'm thinking an Oceans Motions 4 way, what version should I choose? In the following pic, the 4 red circles in the middle are the proposed outlets with flow lines drawn in. I'd like to hide the returns in the rockwork, and that is approximated by the olive colored ovals. The two larger blue circles are the proposed 1.5" intakes. (These will be teed together to feed the pump.) I was originally thinking 3/4" returns, but may go 1" if the pump and OM flow configuration demand it. The rest of the circles are the current overflow and it's returns. I'll be adding an emergency overflow to the overflow box. The intakes for the closed loop will be 1.5" black pvc with strainers, and will be about 3" under the tank water level, well below the siphon break of the overflow returns.

What do y'all think of the approximate CL return placement? What pump should I buy? I'm not going all out stony tank, but I'm sure some will catch my fancy. I'm thinking the sequence dart may not be enough, especially after plumbing it. Maybe the hammerhead? Will that necessitate 1" returns? Also, heat and electrical consumption are issues as all plumbing is under tank (hard to fit in a chiller) and I'm on my last circuit in the box. The whole tank has to be run on a 15 amp shared circuit and a 20 amp dedicated. With the overflow return pump, the mh and vho, the skimmer pump, the heater, etc. I figure I'm cutting it close.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/80195flow_plan_b.JPG

usafa93
09/19/2006, 07:50 PM
I think the Sequence Dart will be fine. The Hammerhead will give you greater pressure, which you really don't need in this type of closed loop (no enductors). Electricity, heat, and SPACE are definitely a concern for you (I have a hex tank - I know your pain). You may also wish to consider an Ampmaster 3600.

Here's an idea (maybe good, maybe bad), how about two smaller pumps? Each influent feeds a single Quiet One 4000. Each Quiet One 4000 goes to a SCWD, which will go to your to your 4 outputs. This will alternate your flow, creating a better result. I would go with that solution, while keeping your energy use to 100 watts. The Quiet One 4000 can be run externally, so you will heat the air, rather than water. The cost of the two pumps is dirt cheap compared to cost of the single hardcore pump. Finally, you have added redundancy, which translates to greater reliability.

tkeracer619
09/19/2006, 08:56 PM
what would you rather have though.

I just made the choice on my closed loop and went with a OM and Dart. Works out great. The squid seems to be nice but half of every post says they leak. I'm glad I went the route I did. The OM is really nice.

usafa93
09/19/2006, 09:17 PM
The key to the SCWD not leaking is a wide, aluminum, hose clamp and a lot of torque, i.e. elbow grease. I think (just my opinion), folks just don't strap them down tight enough, or they try to use plastic ties, which will lead to leaks.

Either way, you're doing the right thing with a closed loop. I personally prefer the SCWD option, because it will lead to more turbulent flow. That is much more natural.

Im14abeer
09/20/2006, 12:22 AM
I did consider the SCWD and 2 pumps, however, their reliability and flow throughput seems suspect. And being a pipefitter, I plan on hard piping (except for a short lenght of spa flex at the pump for vibration dampning) the entire setup as a matter of pride if nothing else. The SCWD does seem a good solution on a smaller tank with an oversize pump though. Originally, I was thinking 3 pumps on a red sea wavemaker, but a good pump and OM is cheaper, with less things to go bad. Even with soft start, turning the pumps on and off is wear and tear, the OM lets the pump run full throttle, constantly as intended by the manufacturer (as does the SCWD.) With an 85 hex, you have little space under the tank compared to me. I will definately look into the ampmaster pumps. Possibly the 4000, which will require the 1" bulkheads for the returns.
Mark, which version OM do you have, and which version do you think is my best bet? I'm leaning toward version 2, with version 3 as my other option. I'm pretty sure I need 2 outlets open at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Im14abeer
09/20/2006, 11:24 PM
80+ views with 2 responses? No one has an opinion on this? OM owners? Sequence pump owners?