PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Suggestion

Brisc0
09/19/2006, 07:51 AM
Hello, I got the okay from my wife to start construction and I have wasted no time with building plans I have been tweaking for about a year now. Just one problem, it looked a lot easier to plumb on paper =)

So, HERE (http://www.stoutbrew.com/images/Picture_079.jpg) is the situation. I have a 75G reef ready going in the hole at the bottom to act as my fuge. My problem is moving water between the fuge/display with it that low to the ground. Can an external pump facilitate the overflow line on a reef ready? (i.e. the external sucks water from the overflow bulkhead) My concern is that the pump would immediately suck the overflow box dry and pull in air. Any thoughts?

Thanks

silverwolf72
09/19/2006, 09:01 AM
You should have a sump that can hold enough water so when the pump is turned on it drains the sump and fills the tank till the overflows start working and still have enough water in the sump to keep the pump from running dry.

Brisc0
09/19/2006, 09:11 AM
The sump will have about 60 gallons in it, that will not be a problem. The main concern I have is if I use an overflow line to pump water out of the fuge, will the overflow box in the fuge constantly be sucking air because its being pulled via pump rather than draining via gravity?

silverwolf72
09/19/2006, 09:32 AM
How are you feeding the fuge? Can you feed the over flow back to the sump and then pump water to the fuge from the sump.

Brisc0
09/19/2006, 09:39 AM
An external pump will pull from the sump and deliver to the display and fuge.

Brisc0
09/19/2006, 09:41 AM
Basically I have dual overflows on the display. They both drain to the sump. The sump feeds the fuge and display. I just can't get my mind around how to drain the fuge with it being so low to the ground. I would preferably like the fuge to go directly to the display and bypass the sump, but im not sure if im making that too big of a priority and if it would be fine for the fuge to drain into the sump and then be returned to the display.

silverwolf72
09/19/2006, 09:55 AM
I would have the pump just feed the tank from the sump. raise the fuge sightly and have it overflow into the sump. You could feed the fuge with 1 overflow and the sump with the other