PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor, Is it worth it?

IndyMatt
09/19/2006, 01:57 PM
I am thinking about adding a calcium reactor because I want to make my reef as maintenance free as possible. I had planned on using the DIY two part additive but I want to get away from adding these daily. Would a calcium reactor be more maitenance free once you get it dialed in? I also am out of town some and my wife takes care of the feeding and basic maintenance but I am not brave enough to let her dose while I am gone. Once dialed in are you constantly checking PH to make sure you are not bottoming out PH with the reactor? If this is the case, I wouldn't be gaining anything maintenance wise since I would be checking PH all of the time. I would like something that I can easily set-up and it maintains calcium, check on things once or every other week and fine tune if necessary. Would adding a calcium reactor do this or is it just one more piece of equipment that needs adjustment and causes headaches. Right now I have a low demand for calcium, but I do want to add some SPS and a clam or two. These will increase my calcium requirements substantially.

fishdave739
09/19/2006, 03:18 PM
Definately worth it! Run it with a controller and if the ph does get too low it shuts off. Once set up and dialed in it's really maintenance free.

IndyMatt
09/19/2006, 03:20 PM
Is it possible to use these without a PH controller? This adds another $100 - $200 to the reactor.

anydarnthing
09/19/2006, 03:27 PM
You can try but it adds a lot more work like having to check your aquarium and Ca reactor pH level at least once a day or more, to figure out your drip rate and when to add CO2 to the reactor. Just look online there are a lot of places selling complete set ups at a bundle price. Here is just one of the deals online I use a Geo Ca reactor and it works great.
http://www.thereefstop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49_82_136&products_id=379

fishdave739
09/19/2006, 03:27 PM
Yes, you can definately run without controller. Properly set up it should (ph) stay constant. Got mine for $80 new and felt it was decent insurance. Hundreds or thousands in livestock isn't worth losing for an $80 part!

s10willy
09/19/2006, 03:29 PM
I don't use the controller for mine. I monitor the pH inside the chamber, but I don't have the controller set up. No problems in the 6 months that I have run the reactor this way. Like fishdave said, once it is dialed in, it's a lot less hassle than 2 part additives.

s10willy
09/19/2006, 03:30 PM
Guess it took me longer to type...

gman19
09/19/2006, 03:49 PM
Definitely worth it. Makes the system a little more maintenance free.

pdkinsel
09/19/2006, 03:53 PM
s10willy,
What kind of reactor do you use? I am running a 2 part and would like to alleviate some of the hassle. I am interested to know what system you use so when my 2 part runs out, I can look into a Ca reactor.

old salty
09/19/2006, 05:12 PM
I just made my first adjustments to my reactor since setting it up almost 3 months ago. I had to get a screwdriver and increase the bubble count. If this isn't hands off, then I don't know what is. I don't use a pH controller either.

IndyMatt
09/19/2006, 06:15 PM
Are you guys mostly SPS or mixed? The reason I ask is that I am wanting a mixed reef and want a few clams. I have heard clams soak up calcium like crazy and don't want the hassle of the two part additives. Also, do you guys top-off with Kalk?

gillies
09/19/2006, 06:26 PM
Calcium reactors suck. Been there, done that. Want fool proof? Buy a Litre Meter and dose Randy's 2 part. I used to work so friggn' hard with this hobby. Now all I do is sit back and watch stuff grow. I need to do a post to let all the frantic newbies in on some secrets before they spend all their money, time and energy like I did before I wised up.

Lime water for top off.

Peace.

fishdave739
09/19/2006, 07:01 PM
I top off with kalk also.

old salty
09/19/2006, 07:13 PM
All SPS and limewater topoff.

hawaiianwargod
09/19/2006, 07:39 PM
Totally worth it. Get one.

s10willy
09/20/2006, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8179943#post8179943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pdkinsel
s10willy,
What kind of reactor do you use? I am running a 2 part and would like to alleviate some of the hassle. I am interested to know what system you use so when my 2 part runs out, I can look into a Ca reactor.

I use a single chamber unit from Aquatic Systems Design (http://www.aquaticsystemsdesign.com/). It is basically the same thing as the Geo 6 x 18, but cheaper. High quality material and construction with top notch service.

I have an SPS dominant tank. I do not use kalk since this unit provides everything I need. I run ARM at 7.0 in the chamber, keeping a consistent 11.5 dkh and 490 CA. Tank pH is at 8.2.

This is set it and forget it. No extra time to mix anything, no time refilling anything, no extra storage containers.

jon575
09/20/2006, 09:49 AM
I have been around calcium reactors for years and i find them eay to maintain. I cant tell you exactly how many i have worked on, but...it is just a matter of correct flow of bubble and fow rate on the output. Once you do this a few times....it becomes second hand.

TrojanScott
09/20/2006, 09:53 AM
I just dose with Randy's 2 part as well. What's so hard about it? Have never spent the money on a clacium reactor, have never needed to.

If you were to actually LOSE livestock because of your calcium levels, then you need a new hobby. Water changes and occasional dosing keep my calcium levels in check.

s10willy
09/20/2006, 10:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8184578#post8184578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TrojanScott
What's so hard about it?

Nothing hard about it, just takes more time.

gillies
09/27/2006, 04:04 PM
Let the Liter Meter do the job. Hook it up to a couple of fresh gallons of Randy's and let 'er ride for over a month.

Holmez221b
09/27/2006, 04:47 PM
What is randy's 2 part???

CyberGuy
09/27/2006, 04:52 PM
Where do you get this Randy stuff?

samsfishnchips
09/27/2006, 05:30 PM
IndyMatt,

a calcium reactor setup with good equipment will need very little maintenance, dial it in, and check weekly or every two weeks or so with other regular maintenance of the system.

and with good equipment I mean
ph controller- with a look I know ph reading
regulator - adjusted once and stays there
out flow meter - with a look I know my drip rate
reactor - big enough for demand of tank

with dosing pumps that pretty much can also be accomplish and some prefer this for special personal reasons such as different mentality of maintenance an eco-system

I don't know why this thread is turning into 2 part with dosing pumps Vs calcium reactor,

bottom line: both have con and pro, just like anything reef relate, pretty much life, its the particular person that needs to learn the FACTS and make an educated decision on what will suit their needs better,

good luck with your choice.

Where do you get this Randy stuff?

you guys seem pretty new, so welcome :D

Randy = Randy Holmes-Farley (our in house chemist)
Who is Randy and what is the Reef Chemistry Forum? (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207351)
The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=112)

Randy stuff =

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php)

have a nice day,

sam